GoKunming Forums

Good restaurants?

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Anybody had any exceptional non-Western dining experiences in Kunming lately? I have some old standards, but feel like some of the places I've been going for years are starting to get boring or slipping in quality.

This is one new one that we found recently that I think is worth a trip: www.gokunming.com/[...]

Anybody else have any spots they would like to share?

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

As a foodie, I have a bunch of Kunming city-center restaurants too share. However, promoting restaurants in forums has been frowned upon by GoK.

I'll make one-off to share one particular fusion restaurant buffet chain that recently opened in a brand new department store.

It's called JiBuLu Happy Buffet (吉布鲁快乐自助). Only 89rmb per person, but IMO one of the highest value & quality to price ratio for all seafood/steak buffets in Kunming.

Through the 10th of November, the grand opening restaurant will offer two 50rmb vouchers for every 100rmb spent. Vouchers have a 3-month expiration window to be used next meal per person basis (weekend excluded). So in essence around 65rmb for spectacular back-to-back buffets w/ friends & family!

Below are accurate photos of the restaurant interior and foods served. The actual gastronomic experience far exceeds the pictures:

www.sohu.com/a/272472778_152958

In case you were wondering, yes those steaks are all-you-can-eat as well. Beer on taps are free flowing. Hand-tossed pizzas made from real durian.

-------------

Address:

西山区人民西路与西园路交叉口
云投中心悦云天地购物广场B1301

Between KRT station 梁家河 (LiangJiaHe) and 市体育馆 (Municipal Stadium) on Line 3.

TEL:

0871—64853066

dolphin (509 posts) • -4
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

There must be a million Chinese restaurants, All of them have something good on the menu, it would take 15 lifetimes to explore them all.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@dolphin I can assure you there is quite a few with nothing good on the menu. Take the mushroom hotpot place I’ve ended up in a couple of times as an example lol. Then again if you like just eating mushrooms non stop as a meal you’re in heaven ;o)

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

In BinJiang Jun Yuan residential area, close to intersection of BaiYun Road and Panlong river, there is a shopping mall named BinJiang Junfa Plaza or something like that.

In B1 floor there is a small restaurant named Oh Yeah, that serves a version (I understood coastal if not Hainanese) of hotpot based on coconut juice and chicken.

Also the dressing to dip the food into comes with an unusual variation of ginger (I don't know real name) mixed with lime, which I find a good match for the whole.

I don't know if this version of hotpot dining has a formal name, or how common this dish is in Kunming or elsewhere, but we often go here with friends who can't stand spicy food but still want "hotpot experience" - as well as our toddler.

The restaurant has another section with BBQ tables, and is usually rather quiet.

Related forum threads

Login to post