GoKunming Forums

Thai visa for foreigners in Kunming

herenow (357 posts) • -2

I'm sure @owenwatts question above is totally unrelated to @madutharak's spam post just now on the seven-year-old "I Need a Good Moving Company" thread:

"B**Move packers and movers ro*** Chennai Supply best Help to Each of your Packaging and moving demands [etc.]"

Just a coincidence -- there's no way that they're the same person or anything like that.

vetimo (21 posts) • +1

Keen observation @herenow. But too much of a headache to police all the spammers.

As @cloud mentioned on the first page, the Thai Consulate is located at Shuncheng Plaza. Conveniently situated above Wuyi Road (五一路) metro station on Line 3 (pink color).

Across the street, the lot under construction is Line 5 station (lime color). Slated for operation in June 2021. Line 3 and 5 will connect there under the Thai Consulate for future visa seekers to Land of Smiles.

herenow (357 posts) • +1

@vetimo wrote: "But too much of a headache to police all the spammers."

As a general matter, I agree.

But I am especially aggravated by this particular type of spammer who comes on the forums with a fake request for help, which is really just the opening bid in a sort of kabuki long con leading to a spam reply in the guise of helping the OP. In the meantime, people waste their time writing sincere posts in response to what is simply a sham.

As also seen with the "Where to find software" thread: www.gokunming.com/[...]

herenow (357 posts) • -1

And it appears they were unable to complete their farce here because people immediately called them out on it. So @madutharak seemingly had to resort to posting blatant spam elsewhere that was quickly deleted.

vetimo (21 posts) • -1

Not 100% sure, but I don't think @vikalina is a fake. Just a person who doesn't know what he or she wants... i'd give these new members benefit of doubt...

granted many fake threads exist as setup for spam opportunists to plug their own products & services free of charge. TBH, their feeble attempts at advertisement are futile, like the Chinese spam bots that plague the forums.

I agree, they can be annoying. Some spams you can smell a mile away. Others not so obvious are more aggravating because they mislead well intentioned posters who waste their time to help only to be duped.

However, true toxicity of community are not these spammers, but forumites who spew negativity at every turn. Trying to police them is also futile IMO.

Solution? Embrace them with compassion like your own naughty child. Treat your nemesis as your guru, as his h0liness once taught.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

@vetimo wrote: "I don't think @vikalina is a fake... i'd give these new members benefit of doubt"

Did you read the whole thread along with her and @rekata's post histories? (If you do, you will see that I too originally argued for giving her the benefit of the doubt, until the charade became obvious at the end.)

@vetimo wrote: "TBH, their feeble attempts at advertisement are futile,..."

I think it's less about about advertising and more about SEO (search engine optimization). They are deliberately placing their company name on what Google regards as "authority" sites -- such as GoKunming -- in order to help convince Google's algorithms to see them as legit and rank their website higher in search results. (This aspect of SEO is less important than placing links to your site on other sites, but it's also far easier to carry off without provoking deletion by the other sites' moderators.)

@rekata's mention of Manage*art is still there in the "Where to find software" thread, so that is a durable win for their SEO: far from futile.

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

there is no way anyone is getting away with anything for long on this forum. cop to poster ratio must be like 1:2

Related forum threads

Login to post