GoKunming Forums

Clueless Canadian in Kunming.

Sheena_C (3 posts) • 0

Hi all. I'm arriving in Kunming on Monday with no definite plans... I'm supposed to meet up with a friend of a friend for a (potential) hook-up with an English teaching job... that's if he gets my email in time. In the meantime are there any hostels or places to visit that anyone would recommend? I also want to learn Chinese (I've been in Beijing for a week but have just been speaking English with other foreigners!). If anyone wants to meet up of for coffee/language exchange let me know. I'm a native of (English-speaking) Canada but also speak Spanish. Thanks.

Ppeng (8 posts) • 0

Hello again, Sheena_c. I left a note for you under your post in "Study". It's a good idea to make some friends in a strange city. If you need a pick-up from Kunming airport please let me know.

Baggiobian (6 posts) • 0

Hey,Sheena> again,I can recommend some venues like these:
Hotels
1.Camillia Hotel,3 star,hostel,East Dongfeng Road,cheap rooms and convenient to foreign restaurants;
2.Baiyun ( White Cloud ) hotel,3 star,very near camillia hotel,cheap as well
Places
Wenlin Jie ( Wenlin Street ),fantastic so called "foreigners' community",nice bars,cafes,restaurants...etc.
See my post of "Language Exchange" with your respond and get my contact details.

Edward (1 post) • 0

Hi Sheena--I'm a retired engineer from California, here in Kunming for 2 weeks now and hoping to stay another couple of months, visa extensions forthcoming. I also am studying Chinese on my own and would love to talk with someone else about the language.

I recently moved out of the Camilla (nice but a little pricy for my budget) to a more centrally located hotel. We could meet at the Camilla, though (or wherever you're staying), just set a time--I'm pretty much open whenever.

Canuck (1 post) • 0

Hi Sheena,

I'm a west-coast Canadian myself. :-)
I stayed at the Camillia when I first arrived, (very nice!) but they also have a hostel attached to their hotel which is considerably cheaper if $'s are short. Ideal location, right downtown. Enjoy your stay. Kunming is a lovely town. Don't overlook Green Lake Park!

Related forum threads

Login to post