GoKunming Forums

Change in bank transfer requirements

JanJal (1243 posts) • +6

Heads up!

Earlier this month I made a regular bank transfer from my foreign bank to my Bank of China account, like I have done numerous time before.

However, the money didn't arrive to my account (usually it just takes 3 days or so), so after a week of waiting we today went to the main BOC branch on Beijing Lu to ask about it.

Turns out, you now have to indicate in the message of the bank transfer, what the money is for. In my case, something like "Money for living expenses in China" would work.

Previously, I have just put some meaningless text like "Hello" in it, thinking that it is a message just for the recipient (myself) and not serving any greater purpose.

Because this information was not included in the transfer, the bank just held the money. I didn't even receive call or anything about it.

iTeach (96 posts) • 0

this is not solely a China thing,,it's being implemented globally for international transfer payments. Regardless of the amount involved,, my bank has a dropdown menu to select reason.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • -2

This is not a change in requirements, it has always been there but was not enforced.
Always just fill in household and living expenses.

Related forum threads

Login to post