GoKunming Forums

Meeting people

iTeach (96 posts) • +2

wrong,,try telling that to my 24 yr old male cousin. it is used by both M&F.

kurtosis (86 posts) • +2

@AshleyMoisan: you could of course try to find somebody in the English speaking community, but why don't you learn some Chinese? Speaking the language makes social integration so much easier. And as other foreigners learn Chinese, you might actually get to know more English speakers in language schools, too.

If you wanna stick to English, bars are probably the easiest place to get to know people.

AshleyMoisan (4 posts) • +3

Yes Ashley is a male and female name. Anyway I’m a woman.

I’m learning chinese but I will need few years to master this language. I don’t want to wait years before having a boyfriend. I can’t be with someone and using translation software. It’s really important for me, communication in a relationship.

I’m more seeking for a chinese boyfriend than a foreigner boyfriend. I have my reasons and they make sense. I don’t want to start a debate.

I will maybe go around english bars in hooe to meet someone. I lived in kunming 1 year and 2 month. I had plenty of bad experiences and I’m trying to find a solution for the best.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

As you want to meet a local, who speaks English, try clubs and societies. Toastmasters has a lot of locals with a fairly high level of English. There are sports clubs, look around the stadiums (Hongta, Tuodong, etc).

There are also small ads, and there are Chinese language dating apps and websites. On the latter you may even wish to say something like,'IELTS 5+' or 'Must have studied overseas'. One tip I was given, and this is not a snob thing, avoid people who work in bars in restaurants; as they work long and anti-social hours and will have very little time to develop their relationships.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +2

You wouldn't need a few years to navigate popular matchmaking websites like Jiayuan.com, which is more suitable for marriages than ONS like other apps. In fact, you wouldn't even need a week.

Since you're learning Chinese, this is a great opportunity to learn functional written Chinese. The common terms cross-over with many websites across the internet; words like "登记“ (sign-in) or "注册" (registration), "邮件" (email), "年纪" (age), stuff like that. Get your Chinese friends to help you with the signup process which could be fun as well. Think of it as a great learning material. One stone two birds Plenty of useful browser extensions/add-ons that help you translate and pronounce.

When you upload your picture and fill in your bio. It's best to introduce yourself in English. That way, you'll get English language responders. Of course, you can easily gauge their English proficiency by their responses. Their profile and life pictures will showcase their ethnicity per your preferences.

Since you're a woman, you'll receive hundreds of replies a day. That's assuming you don't upload a picture of an old witch. But if you look like one, some ogres out there may want you to cast a spell on them. Anyways, you won't have to pay. Extra features on Jiayuan that connect members are usually enabled and paid for by the men. The vast breadth of choices, as filtered by your preference settings, optimizes your probabilities and saves time.

Chinese guys from other cities would even fly to meet you if there's a genuine spark. That's well known. But that wouldn't be necessary as tens of thousands of bachelor men are available in Kunming alone on Jiayuan. Wechat exchanges and meetups ensue. Simple.

Lots of couples meet one another online nowadays in our smartphone era. Not stigmatized like before. Many end up getting married and starting families. This is also well known in the grapevine.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

I told everyone Ashley was a girl. Got downvoted for it.

Dazzer, Liukeming and Tiger were all too busy trying to recruit someone for their gay scene.

Better luck next time, at least she knows it's a waste of time getting in touch with you in her search for a fella.

iTeach (96 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

wrong again!

you told everyone Ashley was a girl's 'name',,distorting the truth is creepy an' directly insulting forum members should lead to consideration of suspension

Nicepal (4 posts) • -1

Hi Ashley, I agree with tigertiger. I strongly recommend to attend a Toastmaster gathering. Majority of the attendees are chinese and speaks well in English. Email me and lets attend a toastmaster event and I will introduce you to a Toastmaster division champ :-) server88@gmail.com

AshleyMoisan (4 posts) • +4

Napoleon I can talk for myself thanks.

I read all response and apreaciate all of them. It’s not because I don’t answer that means I don’t care.

I will go on the website, go in the english coffee shops and other options people gave me.

I’m already on tantan, tinder, momon etc.

I’m not ugly but i’m looking for a quality person. It’s hard to find someone that fit what am looking for. I have no intention to lower my standards and I have no problem being single.

I needed more tools to find a partner. That’s all.

Related forum threads

Login to post