GoKunming Forums

GoKunming feedback...

alienew (422 posts) • -2

I have to guess - ok, that's what I'm always having to do.
I don't think being clear is a vice.

Another question: Where is the site search button?

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • 0

@alienew

The best in-site search method has always been outside, via Google.

Try inputting the following in Google's search engine:

alienew site:gokunming.com

Of course, replace your name with any word(s) your heart desires.

Googlebots are omnipresent in the back end as are similar Chinese Baidu spiders/crawlers.

Which is why mere hiding sensitive comments from prying eyes won't work with algorithms of China's Golden Shield Project.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • 0

Be that as it may, many cling on to GoK despite its imperfections. Kind of like a marriage, yeah?

Another example. Search one phrase from Napoleon's above (-6) hidden comment by inputting the following on Google:

This summer I couldn't get on Go Kunming while back home. site:gokunming.com

Behold, his paragraph exposed and indexed as the first result.

Method works not just for forums, but site-wide including blog comments.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

The old site used to be easy to navigate and search. The "new" - not so new now - is more difficult to get around. Of course, there's more content but sometimes it takes a while to find what you're looking for. Alien's request for a search button - that searches the whole site, not sections - is very reasonable. I'm sure there are technical reasons why it hasn't been done but they don't make it any less desirable.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

@alienew & cloudtrapezer

I forgot to emphasize an important point. By implementing above-mentioned search method, only GoK contents are shown in Google results, no other websites.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

@bilingual Yes of course you're right about the google search. But a search button on the site would be more convenient and intuitive. And some users might not know about the Google option. But like you say,

there's a workaround so not absolutely essential.

herenow (357 posts) • +1

GoKM seems to be following a less-is-more design philosophy along the lines of the old 37signals, so for a marginal use case like site-wide search, I think the chance of implementation is zero.

However, there are free extensions for Chrome (and I would guess other browsers too) that are about as convenient as an on-site search function, such as the "Search the current site" extension: chrome.google.com/[...]

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.