GoKunming Forums

GoKunming feedback...

Ishmael (462 posts) • -8
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

gokunming, you're running this show, but I don't think you should have, or needed to, lock 'Politics and religion'.

Ishmael (462 posts) • -8

Because gokunming forums are to be about things of interest to foreign residents of Kunming, and the topic covers one of them.

iTeach (96 posts) • -1

why not?

'cause there're many millions of conspiracy and political websites to vent hot air - there is only one gokm to focus and serve the expat community on local matters of interest without being hampered by hosting and moderating inflammatory discussion that is best catered for elsewhere.

Keyword: local

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • -3

The forums has really gotten out of hand. In my opinion, it should be restricted to information. It gets to out of topic too fast and out of control. Go Kunming needs a new revamping of its forum.

Ishmael (462 posts) • -8

@Napoleon: I think you've got a point.

@liumingke: The forums are a lot more sensible now than they were just a few weeks ago, partly thanks to this particular forum thread.

Restricting forums to 'information' would eliminate thought itself: computers are full of information, but they can't, and don't, understand or decide anything by themselves, and the idea that 'information' is all that an individual needs to understand something and/or to make a decision eliminates everyone other than the individual concerned from the process, except insofar as others spread the chickenfeed to us chickens, which we then eat and...
Individualism is fine, as long as there are a lot of different individuals and they talk to each other and deal with ideas rather than simply eat the chickenfeed (which of course we can't do without etc. - i.e., encyclopedias are indeed useful) - you really can and do learn from and influence others, and not just by swapping bytes - otherwise one is just another damn consumer with another dead-end commodity.
But I do agree that it's a good idea to have topics, to learn and think and talk about -granted, liumingke, nobody can say everything at once.

Hmm... what was THAT all about?

Ishmael (462 posts) • -8

Well Dazzeer, there are also people who wear blinders like horses, and there have been interesting comments concerning the nature of education in China and how it might be improved - although it's not only a matter of education in China - and it's annoying to think that all decisions have already been essentially made by somebody else.

So I'm glad to hear your input.

P.S.: 'Matters of local interest' - all matters are of local interest as, eventually, everything is connected to everything else, including local US Democrats trying to get Americans in Kunming to vote. Now not everybody here is an American, but then not everybody has to talk about it. If you're not interested in the thread, you don't have to pay attention to it.

Still, it's best not to discuss calculus in a geography class - except when it is.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.