GoKunming Forums

Kunming Typhoon Alert

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Yup, direct path, but by the time it gets here it will be just another summer storm, unless by chance it crosses paths with another storm system.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

I suspect the elevation here is a factor, in addition to being inland.

A few years ago there was a gigantic typhoon coming off of the Gulf of Tonkin and moving north into Honghe. From eyeballing the satellite maps, it seemed to be coming like a freight train with an ETA in about 6 hours. So I headed out to stock up on supplies, and then hunkered down at home to wait... and wait...

And the storm just seemed to stall out about 100 miles south of Kunming, I suppose from bashing itself against the mountain ranges. I think a day or two later we got some heavy rain, but nothing that out of the ordinary. I have seen things play out similarly a time or two since then.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I see today's weather forecast has been changed. The amount of rain predicted has been dropped to 2-4 mm. That's not even up to our usual standards for a summer storm.

Meanwhile my wife's friends were all panicking last night about turning off everything (power, water, etc). At least for once I was able to talk my wife into closing the windows.

vicar (817 posts) • +1

Blown out of proportion, a mere storm in a teacup. Thanks for the advice Alien : )

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

Apologies for crying wolf. It's that Chinese social media frenzy that @AlPage48's wife et al. know all too well.

Nothing but a faint echo... a dissipated remnant of a CAT 5 that killed so many.

Glad we live behind a curtain of mountain ranges as @herenow alluded to. It's why we love KM.

Related forum threads

Login to post