GoKunming Forums

Mail: What A Concept

pen24 (18 posts) • 0

I was wondering if anyone had any leads they could share on a reliable PO BOX business in Kunming or Dali?

I need to have an address for my mail from Canada.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

For international mail - we use our home address in Kunming. Mail is then piled up at the gate guard's door. It's quite obvious - postage stamps...

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Do you live at a hotel? get it sent there. If you live in an apartment even better, have it sent there and the security will deal with receipt.

Whenever I get mail from abroad I either have to sign for it at the door or I get a call from the post office and I have to go there with my passport and collect it. I can't see a PO box being useful under those circumstances.

Also, if you're having anything sent here, have the sender add your phone number to the address, the chances of you recieving it are going to improve if you do.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

We were told by the downtown post office that international mail must have a phone number. Sometimes mail is sent to a post office other than where it normally gets delivered. They expect you to know where it is and come to get it.

liuer2 (38 posts) • 0

Lost frequently international mail in the last year and on inquiring was told that anything without a tracing code gets thrown away. Before this didn’t happen and I had no problem receiving mail. What are people’s experiences lately?

baiyuxiang (111 posts) • +1

Successfully applied for a PO box at a local Toudiju (投递局). Somehow managed to get it for free (went with a friend who already had a PO box). Other's have obtained them by subscribing to a Chinese newspaper from a Toudiju, or paying a small (~5Y) monthly fee.

They gave me a small key. I've regularly received mail and small packages there. Larger packages get stuck at the Beijing Rd office.

Amazon.com ships there, but a few years ago Amazon required that I provide a local's ID card name and number.

Related forum threads

Login to post