GoKunming Forums

Is Dali fun anymore?

herenow (357 posts) • +3

"douchebag americans"

"desperate, older european and american alchoholic from thailand"

"angry chinese jarhead patriot on golf cart tours"

"big headed loudmouth thinks they funny"

"pretend successful entrepeneur"

Miyamoto, you say you want to hang out with "chilled out, creative relaxed people".

But perhaps the question is whether they would want to hang out with you.

Bamei (36 posts) • +3

I remember the times, some ten years ago, when Dali was fun and laidback with some hippies but still peaceful and quiet. I met this would be Japanese swordsman, philosopher, writer and rōnin in the birdbar in Dali. After dancing the night away with Bachata and Kizomba we were both stoned on the local herbs that were growing on the slopes of Cangshan mountain which we smoked in large quantities while staring over the charcoal fire. Chilling we called that in those days.

Last time I was in Dali the weed fields on Cangshan mountain have been eradicated and the old charcoal fire has been replaced by an electric stove and everybody stares at the screen of their Smartphone. I only met douchebag Americans and desperate older European and American alcoholics from Thailand mixed with angry Chinese jarhead patriots on golf cart tours. There was the occasional big headed loudmouth that thought he was funny and some pretend successful entrepreneurs. As well a guy from Kunming with a strong mildew odor and somebody desperately looking into a way to get his ASUS repaired, not chill at all.

Therefore I would like to say to all my old friends stay away.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Life gets more comfortable and less interesting. But would you really have it any other way?

Miyamoto Musashi (30 posts) • -6
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

@ bamei, thanks I think maybe you are right. Staring into smartphones. Stuff like that. Perhaps not chilled anymore.

I'm not trolling and I'm entitled to my own personal view that, yes indeed, there are many 'old whiteman se lang', 'inheritance money fake entrepeneurs', 'loudmouth alchoholic', 'supposedley funny guys' and of course ' racist, finger pointing chinese men', 'shit chatters', 'big head feeling like celebrity in china', 'violent thugs' etc.

In the past there were also cool, modest people into creative crafts and interesting to talk to...but I guess maybe they are almost all gone now.

Maybe japan is better but I'm afraid, in this day and age, wherever I might go to to avoid them, the 'douchebag americans' and 'old man u.k thug se lang' are already there.

So peace to all the genuinely chilled out people and to the others 'deez nuts'.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

By chilled out I take it you mean sitting on your arses for months on end in Sun Island smoking spliffs, playing the bongo drums badly and inflicting industrial techno music on the innocent locals.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

every one is entitled to their own personal opinion and others does not need to be offended by it if expressed in a non offensive way. or better still keep some thought private an personal. sounds like you got a major non cool attitude

ASatiricalBloke (103 posts) • -1

Funny, I'm pretty sure the locals would've described Dali as fun and laid back until laowais like Miyamoto Musashi starting showing up with their western values and ideas about what is fun and laid back.

herenow (357 posts) • +3

Miyamoto, you are indeed entitled to your opinion, but insults are rude and disrespectful.

For example, if you find your friend's wife to be ugly, that's not an opinion which needs to be bluntly stated to anyone.

Having said that, it's a bit ironic -- I just yesterday happened to come into proximity to a westerner who was so loud and obnoxious that I left the premises in order not to have to hear him anymore. This kind of thing rarely happens to me, but maybe I can understand a bit where you're coming from.

Still, it seems like a fragile way to live -- to be so sensitive that the mere presence of people from any of a number of different groups ("douchebag americans", etc.) can kill your buzz. Sort of a hothouse flower mode of existence. Maybe you could try to meditate on something like this: "...there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Even if it doesn't hold true in all cases, it's a useful perspective to have in one's mental kit -- especially if you're looking to chill.

James Callis (16 posts) • -8
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

if you guys already so bitch and cant chill, why nobody can say something?
People feeling a lot that most of kunming laowei looking like frankensteins. has too big ear for they big head and they ugliness also so smug. so nasty and they greasy.

And you dont like sitting on ass so much? why you sitting on ass everyday get drunk from 10am?
Everyone listen you "gao ji" talking, just bullshit. Simple, you needing to know you not so special.

Some thinking seriously sun rises in they asshole. They unacceptable low awareness.

So douche, cast they greasy shadow over the good one.

Related forum threads

Login to post