GoKunming Forums

Is Dali fun anymore?

debaser (647 posts) • +2

@OP The Bad Monkey is still there and there are still some smaller cafe/bars but little else remains the same. There are far more tourists there now and more 'souvenir' shops and overpriced restaurants. it's still a beautiful place once you ge away from Renmin lu but it isn't anywhere near the same as just 10 years ago if that's what you were thinking.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

They try their best to ruin Dali but they can't. Or at least despite the crowds it still has something special.

Bamei (36 posts) • 0

@tigertiger
Well 9 years and 11 month and 10 years and a months is nearly the same as ten years ago.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Dali will always have something special. How it is packaged will continue to change. I went there earlier in the year and have to say it has improved over the last few years, even if it is not the laid back place it was 15 years ago.

Miyamoto Musashi (30 posts) • -4
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Well, when I was there about 10 years ago there was brd bar, bad monkey, vodka ba, sunisland, kafka and caffeine club.

Are they all still open?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is;

Is it still worth it to spend money on ticket to china ( + visa, accomodation etc. ) if I'm looking for chilled out, creative, relaxing time with chilled out, creative relaxed people?

If its now all desperate, older european and american alchoholic from thailand who are disrespectful along with angry chinese jarhead patriot on golf cart tours then I cant be bothered anymore.

What do you think?

Is it finally ruined?
I'd be happy to just chill out quietly around a charcoal fire again.

I dont want the 'empty vessels making the most noise' problem.

If its all loud alchohol shouting now, I cant be bothered.

As I said I'm looking to chill.
No big headed loudmouth thinks they funny. How about some decency and respect for one another, join in with creative activity.

I dont mind fire poi and colorful hair people but I dont want 'pretend successful entrepeneur' or 'angry chinese patriot'.

What do you think?

dolphin (509 posts) • +2

Miyamoto,
I think it’s pretty much all loudmouthed disrespectful angry fake entrepreneur wannabes. creative types have all moved out. Your best bet is to stay in Japan.
If you’re not trolling, I think you might actually find some decent people and some creative types if you stick around long enough or look in the right places. There are bars and therefore musicians performing.they aren’t creative enough for you? Dude, maybe YOU are a douchebag?

hanshan (32 posts) • +7

Miyamoto, seems not only Dali but also you change in past 10 years. You talk about respect but there is not much respect to others in your words...

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +2

Hmmm. Sun Island is still going. Vodka Bar, Caffeine Club and Kafka have all gone. As has the Lazy Lizard. So the old Renmin Lu scene is not there anymore. It's become very crowded but you can still find quieter and what you might consider "cooler" places off the beaten track though. There are still plenty of arty types around. There are American and European tourists but they are unobtrusive. The big change is the number of Chinese tourists. They're not loud or angry, just enjoying the views. Often they're young couples. Of course they're not backpackers and their tastes are different.

Related forum threads

Login to post