GoKunming Forums

Men’s haircut

indiandan04 (3 posts) • 0

Hi, I’m looking for a place in KM that does good men’s haircuts. The last posts I saw on here were about 2 years old so I thought I’d start a new one in case anyone found something good. I basically just want a place that has people who can cut well and will listen instead of defaulting to a Chinese style haircut regardless of what I say.
I have an Indian background, so if they have experience cutting Indian hair that’s a plus, but if not, a place that cuts foreigners well is more than good enough.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

Not sure about 'Indian hair', but if it's relatively coarse then a Chinese barber used to cutting hair of Chinese, which is also relatively coarse, would give you this advantage. My hair is pretty fine and I've occasionally found that barbers here have some trouble with it, although this is usually not a real problem.

indiandan04 (3 posts) • +1

Lol not “Indian hairstyle”, Indian hair (I upvoted that by the way). My hair is pretty thick, it waves strangely and unpredictably, and Chinese barbers seem to have this thing about buzzing your hair down to the skin in the sides and back, then “fading” it back up. I feel like it’s the only thing they know how to do well. I personally don’t like that look on my head, so I’m looking for a barber here who’s a little more outside the box but can still cut well.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • -1

Best way to deal with this is print out a picture of what you want.

michael2015 (784 posts) • -1

EVERY Chinese hairstylist for men is essentially a military bootcamp barber - they only know how to shave the head or something resembling a crewcut.

Yunnan is worse - even you tell them to NOT cut a certain swath of the head - they insist on "just a little" until - you're back to the crewcut.

My wife does an infinitely better job for free, as her chatter and laughter - although alarming if not terrifying during the process, is infinitely more delightful - with the same results or better.

Now - just have to buy a new electric trimmer...

You can "try" the salons inside the Ginko luxury department stores - worst case scenario - you get a really expensive crewcut (they have high rent).

The way to determine if a men's cutter is a butcher versus a stylist - ask for a "layered cut". If he doesn't start pinning your hair up into sections - he/she's a butcher - not a stylist. I call butcher's terrorist barbers...

alienew (422 posts) • 0

Have to disagree with Michael, although there are indeed some who fit his description. But then I'm not much into 'fashionable'. I do think wavy or curly can be a problem for many.

michael2015 (784 posts) • -1

I don't have wavy or curly hair. But I also don't go to expensive "stylists" anymore as they all seem to have the same style of cutting men's hair.

So - wifey works just as well for me - the more frequently she cuts - the better she gets...in theory.

And if she does something truly terrifying - I just tell people my wife cut my hair - they quietly nod with a sympathetic and understanding look...so I can also use it to sometimes extract sympathy and the occasional free "my wife cut my hair" sympathy beer.

Related forum threads

Login to post