GoKunming Forums

Airline Recommendation: Beijing to Kunming

Breinhow (13 posts) • 0

I wanted to know which Chinese airline people recommend from Beijing to Kunming.

China Eastern, Air China, Sichuan Airlines?
Thanks!

22Yossarian (16 posts) • +2

It depends what you want?

Are you a member of a Star Alliance frequent flier program?

If you are, fly Air China.

Skyteam? Choose China Eastern.

Otherwise, there is not much of a difference, especially in economy class.

If you aren’t concerned about collecting frequent flier miles, choose the airline with the best price that fits your schedule.

Domestically, I’ve flown Hainan, Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, and Kunming Airlines (which is really just Sichuan Airlines with different paint).

Nothing really stands out, just a mildly uncomfortable seat, and lots of shoving at boarding and deplaning.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Lots of factors, price, flight times, routes ( many routes in China have direct and non direct routes). Priority of the airline at airports, this kicks in if there are delays and flights get bumped, Air China is the last to get bumped and the first to go back on the board.
If I fly budget I just accept that I may have to ‘suck it up ‘ on something and consider myself lucky if I don’t.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

It's worth making sure it's a direct flight. If you make a stop at some small airport and then weather shows up or the military decides to close some air corridors then delays and backups could have you stuck hours at some crap small town airport. If you have lounge access then the Air China lounge is worth considering as it's pretty nice as Beijing is the main hub of Air China.

michael2015 (784 posts) • -1

Perhaps out of scope - but if you have the time - consider the sleeper trains or bullet trains. The slower sleeper trains are comfortable - aside from the smoking. The bullet trains - allegedly - smoking forbidden and fairly rigorously enforced.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +2

Between China Eastern and China Southern, earlier this spring I had to change tickets to another date and found that China Southern provides much simpler procedure for that. So now I frequent Southern for all domestic flights when possible.

Perhaps if I didn't have any check-in luggage, I'd investigate cheaper options.

Related forum threads

Login to post