GoKunming Forums

I want to study Chinese Language in Kunming

nzguy (4 posts) • 0

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, even though I've been browsing the website for several months now.

I'm a New Zealand citizen.

I want to come to Kunming in October to study Chinese. I'm trying to find the most affordable option that still classifieds as full time study... Unless you know if a student visa is possible without full time hours.

I need a course that starts any time, because I'm coming in October.

I also want to know if it's compulsory to have health insurance while studying?

Of course it's sensible, but I want to know if it's required before being accepted into a school.

I would like to stay in Kunming for 6 months initially, so I would look at a 5 or 6 month visa.... Or a 12 month visa with multiple entries if that's possible... Because I'll do 2 lots of study initially if that's a possibility.

I've found a few schools online, but both don't fit my requirements.

Any and all advice / info is appreciated.

Thanks!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

I think that most university programs start in October. If you start late, the first few weeks of a beginner course are easy to catch up on. The university programs also work out cheapest. Usually 4 hour blocks each morning (M-F), afternoon off, 20 hours per week (full time), and a lot of time to yourself.
Medical cover is not a legal requirement. I am not sure if the universities offer basic emergency cover for their students.
The university programs are usually by semester, and that I think is 6 month visa.
Warning, you must attend regularly at any school, public or private, otherwise your visa is at risk. There was a purge a few years back and lots of students had visas cancelled and could not continue study, one student because he had taken two long weekends travelling.

nzguy (4 posts) • 0

Great, can you recommend any affordable universities that offer 6 month Chinese language courses?

nzguy (4 posts) • 0

I'm really just wanting to find the lowest price for Chinese language study, that will still count as full time study or allow me to get a student visa for at least 5 months.

Some of the prices have been well over my limit. But I've heard that 7000 yuan for a year and paid in 2 lots of 3500 before each semester is possible. But I can't contact the person who told me this.

I'm hoping to find even cheaper than this though.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I think you can sign up for one semester at a time.

All universities are roughly the same cost, controlled by government. If you are going to live in student accommodation this varies as does the quality.
However, if budget is an issue you need to consider accommodation costs carefully. Especially if you live outside the university. It varies from district to district. There may also be travel costs.
From your posting it sounds like your chief concern is a visa. If you are just looking for a visa for other purposes, watch out. Lots of people get caught.

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that a lot university departments are on holiday, and they often have no holiday cover for Chinese course recruitment. Check the university website for vacation times. All departments will probably be closed until the same time. A bit dumb from a business perspective, and frustrating, but that is the way it is.

nzguy (4 posts) • 0

I just want to make sure that my trip is really worth it. That's why I want to study for 5 or 6 months, so that I can do a little travelling on the weekend.

Learn Chinese YN (19 posts) • +1

There are also the options of Private schools in Kunming. Our school Huayang Academy in the West(ish) near turtle and Barfly, Keats downtown and KCEL. Our semester course costs 4000 rmb and we can provide X1 or X2 visa ( 6 months or one year ) We have a Kiwi coming back to us in September if you want us to put you in touch. If interested get in touch with lori@learnchineseinyunnan.com and where ever you choose best of luck with the study

Related forum threads

Login to post