GoKunming Forums

Sim card for tourist

Harmen (3 posts) • 0

Can you advice me which sim-card i should buy for my Iphone7. I will make trips throughout Yunnan, so coverage is important. I also want to upload a travelblog. Can i buy any sim-card? and are there restricions being an European?

JanJal (1243 posts) • +2

I don't know about Apples, but my Europe-bought Samsung Galaxy S5 can only get 4G in China with China Unicom card (no other providers work) - but this does not have coverage in some countryside places that we frequent to.

So what I do nowadays, is carry a cheap extra phone just to plug a China Mobile card in, and then share it's connection as wifi hotspot to my main device.

There are devices specifically for this purpose, but we've satisfied to extra phone.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

you may find it difficult to buy a SIM card with your passport, especially at smaller stores. It's best to head to the main office, to buy the SIM or just ask a Chinese friend to buy one for you.

iTeach (96 posts) • +1

I wouldn't embarrass a friend,,Chinese or otherwise,, by asking them to purchase a SIM. Probably illegal and huge risk of unintended consequences. Get yer own.

colibris79 (16 posts) • 0

Hi everyone. I recently moved to Kunming and I am in a similar situation so I would like to know the address of the main China Mobile office. Does anyone have it? I have searched in Baidu maps and just found many of them but I need to go to the main one.

Thanks

alienew (422 posts) • +2

It's just to the east of the municipal government building on Renmingzhonglu, on the north side of the street. Take your passport when you go there.

colibris79 (16 posts) • 0

Thanks @alienew! :)
I guess you mean the one in 人民中路100 (Renminzhonglu 100). And by the municipal government you mean 五华区人民政府 (Wuhuaqu renmin zhengfu), right?

Sorry, I am new in town so I don't know the main places yet...
And I won't forget my passport!

Related forum threads

Login to post