i2 International Institute of Education


Working two jobs

miealex (44 posts) • 0

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know the possibility/ legality of working two jobs here in Kunming, I am working full-time right now but have some spare time and thought I could put it to good use.

I have heard some people say it's fine and others saying it's highly illegal. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

tigertiger - moderator (5085 posts) • 0

Technically it is illegal. However a lot of people do it. If you already have a work visa, you will probably get away with it (unless they have a clamp down). When teaching I have done side jobs for other schools, and they wanted to see that I had a valid work visa to cover themselves, although strictly speaking they are still breaking the law, but is shows that there is a working perception that it is acceptable; if not fully legal.
I also know a lot of teachers who work as private tutors on the side, and i have never heard of anyone having a problem. I have known other teachers work as musicians.

There was a bit of a clamp down on musicians and bar staff in bars a couple of years ago. I am not sure of the mechanics of that, but it passed quickly. Perhaps someone else can comment on this last one.

Xiefei (519 posts) • 0

According to the law, you are only allowed to work at one job, and technically only one location. Authorities will usually let the one location thing slide if you are mainly working in the city where your permit is based.

The one company thing is a bit more of a hassle. Theoretically, you can set up your own company and work for other companies as a consultant, but I don't think this flies for teaching, due to certification requirements and whatnot.

miealex (44 posts) • 0

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I can imagine private tutoring being possible, I just wasn't sure how possible it would be to work part-time at another school. Thanks again and if anyone else has anything to add, feel free.

michael2015 (677 posts) • 0

If you receive payment THROUGH your current company sponsor - and the work is compliant with the company's charter - then it's legal. By yourself - it's not technically legal - but moonlighting for cash is generally ignored unless you become overtly obvious, such as moonlighting in your own underground school with LOTS of students.

vicar (818 posts) • 0

You'll be fine as long as you tell the organization providing your working visa what you are doing and they agree. Otherwise, forget it.

tigertiger - moderator (5085 posts) • 0

From what I have heard in the past, if you ask your current employer they usually say no. So as you are not distracted from selling your soul to them.

Haali (1155 posts) • 0

legally: absolutely not. Your working permit is tied to a certain contract at a certain company. Do not ask your company, if they allow you to work another job, they are complicit in you breaking the law. My official advice - respect the laws of the country and just do the job that provides your visa. My unofficial advice: there are more jobs for foreigners than there are suitable foreigners. Personally, I don't do it, but many people do.

Xiefei (519 posts) • +1

What vicar is saying was actually correct, but that was in the past, and it was only for foreign experts (most teachers), not for people on the old work permits (people working in most other industries).

The wording of the law was that foreign experts could do other work for other organizations as long as the original employer gave permission, and it was all properly contracted and taxed.

The idea was that universities and research institutions were going through a lot of trouble to bring in foreign experts, and other institutions could make use of their expertise. These rules were written back in the early days of the reform and opening, so picture university teachers providing tutoring and expertise to the local government bureaus and state-owned factories.

Now the two types of permits are folded into one, and I'm pretty sure that rule is gone now.

It was still on the books about a decade ago when I was looking to contract out a large editing project, but the tax authorities had no idea where to even begin documenting it. It seemed no one was taking advantage of that rule.

Login to post Register to post