GoKunming Forums

Recieving packages from US

SmurfyPants (14 posts) • 0

Out of curiosity, do they just leave the package there no matter what street address in Kunming you put down? And do they ever notify you about its arrival?

I ordered some books from Amazon and had them mailed to be from the US about 6 months ago (expected to arrive on Mar. 2 at the latest), and it says they are using "untrackable mailing". I have started to believe it either got stuck at the customs forever or is lost. Could my long-expected books wound up at the same mysterious place?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Books may have been confiscated. Technically you need a license to import books in China. Most get through but not all. It would not hurt to check at the post office.
This is one of the reasons I bought Kindle 3G when I was back home.

dr.JK (23 posts) • 0

As far as I know they just left the package there and it never would have never ended up at my door (though the address, within Kunming, was on the box). However, I have heard of other foreigners receiving overseas packages to their door. So it's either inconsistent or it's changed. We did have books (kids books) in our package, so that wasn't a problem, but it's probably true books have no guarantee to get through customs. I'd say it's worth a shot to go check out the post office - seems like there are many packages there that may have been there for a long time. Just give them your phone number and have an ID with you.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

I've NEVER received an international package - aside from FEDEX or DHL document envelopes, from the IPO (International Post Office). I've ALWAYS had to go down there to go look and pickup. They USUALLY leave a delivery receipt with the compound's gate guard - but not always.

@Tigertiger

I do have a Kindle 3G connected to a US Amazon account although for me it's easier to obtain PDF copies (textbooks, papers etc.) than the mobi versions and PDFs don't work so well with the Kindle 3G.

I'm just buying some flash cards this time. Don't know if they'll survive the customs.

@dr.JK & @michael2015
I've received FedEx and DHL document envelopes, and one amazon

package (no books contained). Don't know what exactly is happening this time. I'll try my luck at the IPO some time next week.

Related forum threads

Login to post