GoKunming Forums

International School + ballet classes

Gaelle (4 posts) • 0

Hi everyone, we are a Belgian family moving to Kunming in 2 months. My 2 daughters (4 and 7 years old) went to a British international school (IB).

I have been told that KIA is the only international school in Kunming, is this correct? What about Beanstalk? Any reviews?

For my oldest daughter I am looking for ballet classes or a good ballet teacher for private lessons. She has been dancing on a high lever for her age, so the teacher has to be very professional.

Thanks!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have not heard of ballet schools. If it is only for a few months, your daughter could keep up most of her dance fitness by going to a professional dance school at a place like Dangsters Dance studio www.gokunming.com/en/listings/city/kunming/?search=dangsters.
I think the place is still staffed by foreign dance teachers. It is modern dance, which she may also enjoy, and as I said, she can certainly keep up her fitness.

Gaelle (4 posts) • 0

Thank you. I have heard of them, the school has positive reviews. Unfortunately my daughter is not interested and would like to continue classical ballet. We will be in Kunming for at least 4years ;-)
I found some information about Wuyan Wuyu Dance school. But no reviews and no mail address or website to contact them

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@tiger: May not be that difficult - there is an excellent dance academy that provides serious ballet training in Mianyang, Sichuan, a city of only a little over a million about 100-odd kilometers north of Chengdu - and they have sent at least one student to join the Shanghai Ballet. I knew the head of the school and saw this 17-year-old in class - she was amazing. They are oriented towards producing serious professionals, but it indicates to me that there might well be something more casual in Kunming. Perhaps the folks at Dangsters would know.
Then too, most cities in China have a Cultural Dept. with a song-&-dance troupe, but I don't know what their attitude towards ballet or to foreigners might be.

Gaelle (4 posts) • 0

I saw that Kunming International Philharmonic has auditions for Ballet dancers. Maybe I better contact them, and hopefuly one of their dancers would agree to teach my daughter. I have a reference letter of her teacher, who is a ballerina at Caïro Opera House. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

I'm not sure this is in alignment with your desires for classical dance - but Yang LiPing is a world class modern dancer who runs a professional dance studio on the outskirts of Kunming, with regular performances both in Kunming and internationally.

I've seen her dancers and they all have strong classical movements (to the best of my severely lacking knowledge).

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Although it may not be by choice, this could be a good opportunity for your daughter to diversify. I do appreciate that your daughter loves ballet, and thinks she cannot possibly love anything else, at the moment. Sometimes we can benefit a lot from life's disappointments.

Related forum threads

Login to post