GoKunming Forums

Nujiang Itenerary

b galipeau (48 posts) • 0

The road from Dimaluo in Gongshan to Deqin is open but still not paved and bad in wet weather.

Rather than spending your entire trip in cars, I would highly recommend considering trekking for three days from Dimaluo to Cizhong, also in Deqin.

Much better scenery this way.

Aluo who has a guest house in Dimaluo can arrange the trek and guides for you or guide you himself.

Also, definitely no need for a sleeper bus from Dali to Fugong.

Easily completed in one day and as others have said much prettier this way.

The Nujiang Valley is not to be missed.

Don't travel it by night.

A note as well that you wouldn't be flying from Deqin to Kunming.

You will need to hire a driver (3 hours) or take the bus (4 hours) from Deqin to Shangri-La which is where the closest airport is if you want to fly out that way.

Stevula (16 posts) • 0

@alienew Why avoid airplanes?

@b galipeau I'm VERY glad you mentioned that the Deqen airport is actually in Shangri-La. That may have saved me a nightmare at the end of my trip. Also the trek sounds like a great idea. I just sent Aluo an email. I also tried to call 886 3566 182 (which I got from his website) but it didn't through. If anyone knows another number to reach him, let me know.

Stevula (16 posts) • 0

Here is my current working itinerary:

Wed 6/13/2018 Arrive to KM at 9pm
Thu 6/14/2018 Fly To Tengchong

Fri 6/15/2018 Tengchong
Sat 6/16/2018 Tengchong
Sun 6/17/2018 Bus to Liuku. Chill in Liuku
Mon 6/18/2018 Bus to Bingzhongluo
Tue 6/19/2018 Bingzhongluo
Wed 6/20/2018 Begin Trek to Cizhong
Thu 6/21/2018 Day 2 of Trek
Fri 6/22/2018 Reach Cizong
Sat 6/23/2018 Bus to Zhongdian
Sun 6/24/2018 Zhongdian
Mon 6/25/2018 Zhongdian. Fly to KM
Tue 6/26/2018 Leave KM at 3pm

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

alien has a bee in his bonnet about air travel. every thread he can he puts in his prejudice ad nauseum.

Stevula (16 posts) • 0

Also, @b galipeau is the road from Dimaluo to Deqen at least safe enough to keep as a backup plan (if we get sick or something) or should it be avoided?

b galipeau (48 posts) • 0

I think the road should be alright.

I haven't been on it this year but several locals have all told me it is now quite passable.

Unfortunately don't have a more current number for Aluo, but he should be pretty easy to locate in Dimaluo and all local drivers know where his guest house is.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@ Stevula: On the ground there are people who are part of the areas through which you pass. Views from the air can be excellent, but views from the ground present more of the human perspective that the people face, as well as how they have done it historically and how they must do it today. Also, air travel pollutes more, waste of natural resources etc.

Related forum threads

Login to post