GoKunming Forums

The Ever-Changing Cafe Landscape

Cahzriel (26 posts) • 0

So, it seems like cafes are coming and going faster than this spring jumped into the summer rainy season. In the midst of this ever-chancing landscape, I'm curious what people's favorite cafes are or what developments they've noticed. I really liked Goof in 版筑翠园 a year or two back (Taiwanese boss) and was sad to see him go. I just learned recently that he's doing his own roasting now by Lotus Pond, and he sells his beans to a number of cafes in Kunming now (there's a decent new one called Neverland by 南屏街), so that's been a welcome discovery. The new cafe on Wen Hua Alley has a super cheap americano, though I really don't understand why they think that serving a hot drink it in a thin glass cup with no handle is a good idea. I was also sad to see the place by the southern gate of Green Lake (几朵)disappear a yearish ago. Happy that 卷耳 is still doing well outside of the primary school on Wen Lin Jie.

Anyway, what observations have you guys and girls made on the local cafe scene?

I need to explore some new places...

alienew (422 posts) • 0

I like Salvador's.
Sal's, Wicker Basket and Brooklyn Pizza sell good beans, too. Wicker Basket has the cheapest, but it is a bit boring to sit in. Brooklyn roasts their own.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

Mellower and other chains with large open spaces for food and drinks. Starbucks and Salvador's Loft, if you prefer non-smoking.

And always - the international 5-star hotel coffee lounges for people watching. The Intercontinental is my favorite as it's also busy and interesting.

There's also a nice quite coffee shop on Beimen Jie near O'Reilly's and several in the WenLin Alley, deeper into the street than Sals.

Kongming (83 posts) • 0

Farther up alley from Sal's & around the corner is Caleb Pizzeria & Coffee.

It is the former El Amor & further back in time, it was Yunjoy Coffee. The coffee is still good, still made by Xiao Chi. Stop for a cup on the way to Laowai Paradise

or Mandarin Books!

Related forum threads

Login to post