Yangliping

Forums

Where to travel in winter?

MartinaM33 (3 posts) • 0

Hello!
I am planing my next winter vacation and wanted to ask around where it would be nice in winter.

Should I come to Kunming or would Thailand be better?

tigertiger (4477 posts) • +1

It depends what you like to do on vacation.
Thailand will be warmer, but there again, Thailand is also diverse.

Kunming itself does not have a lot to offer vacationers, it might be best to describe it as a springboard for the rest of Yunnan.

There are mountain trails and even some snow in the Dali, Lijiang, Shangrila areas. There are tropical rain forests in the south of Yunnan, that will be reasonably dry and comfortable at that time of year. These options would require a day or so journey time each way on buses, unless you take the new high speed trains, or fly.
There are many tourist sites in Yunnan, but most are over-visited, and overpriced.
January may be quietest (a good thing) and prices may be lower. This is because people are saving money for spring festival (Feb 4th, 2019). Spring festival is a very bad time to vacation in China. Maybe even a bad time for Thailand.
Unless you speak Chinese, or want the adventure, Thailand you can communicate in English if you need to and the people are more willing to help you. Thailand would probably be the lower stress option.

AlexKMG (2321 posts) • 0

Thailand for winter. Absolute best weather for that country is during winter, so take advantage of it. You could go to both northern Thailand and Kunming if you felt like it. Flights are available from cities there to Kunming. Not too sure why you'd come to Kunming in winter though. There is a chance if you arrive before, during, and after Chinese New Year, you could be wandering empty streets looking at shuttered shops all alone.

MartinaM33 (3 posts) • 0

Hello and thanks for your advices.

I guess I will than go to Thailand and have a look at Phuket.

The Club Champagne Phuket shall have nice sailing yacht for rent and also fantastic sightseeing trips.

bilingualexpat (89 posts) • 0

Why not do both?

AirAsia now offers daily direct flights from Kunming to Phuket. Only 200 rmb special promotion last month, now ~400 rmb one way. No more hectic transfer from busy Bangkok airport.

Soon Airasia will offer direct flights to Krabi and perhaps Koh Samui from Kunming.

lemon lover (586 posts) • 0

Well we do not have "Club Champagne" here but we do have "Club Baijiu". A visit to "Club Baijiu" is a life changing experience that will stay with you the rest of your life.

JanJal (495 posts) • +1

Couple of attractions in Yunnan that are best observed in winter:

- Luoping rapeseed fields from January to March (sometime March is too late)

- Yuanyang rice terraces from December to February, after fields are flooded but before rice grows

Personally I'd recommed bucket listing these two for anyone staying in China (anywhere in China) long-term.

Login to post Register to post