GoKunming Forums

We chat pay ( help)

Matjaz Pinter (11 posts) • 0

I really hate that I have to open this topic here. I have tried everything. First, searching online, I saw that there might be a possibility to use WeChat Pay with a foreign visa or mastercard credit card. It works for some people, but not for everyone. I have tried both credit and the 2 debit cards I have, and without success. I gave up, thinking that I just won't use e-payments at all. But then, I had to open a bank account anyway, so it brought me back to the same idea. Maybe now, with a Chinese bank account (CMB btw) I could use e-payment systems. I tried to do a bank card identification in we chat, and it leads me through all the stages, but at the end, again, the problems seems to be that I don't have a Chinese ID. The app is apparently asking (only) for a Chinese bank card, that is connected to a Chinese ID.

So my question is, fellow expats, how does one use We Chat Pay? Had the rules changed somewhere along the way? Is there something that I am missing?

thanks for the help.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +2

First download and install Alipay English version( I have an andriod phone). Alipay allows you add multiple card ( I only have debit cards (3) linked to the account. Alipay allows you to use your passport number. Once you have your alipay setup you can link those cards to Wechat.

Open Wechat and click on 'me', then click on 'Wallet'. Click on 'cards' and add your cards. When you add a card it will send you a 'verify code' which you must enter to finish the process for each card you add.
Also make sure that the name is the same on Alipay as it is on the bank card. If your bank has your name in ALL CAPS then you must enter it in ALL CAPS on Wechat. If you still can get it to work, go to the bank and they will walk you through it.
Using We Chat pay is sooooooooo handy.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@Matjaz Pinter
I don't know if this STILL works - but Chinese ID's are typically 18 digits long. On your WeChat application, when it asks for a Chinese ID - enter your passport, padded with leading zeroes (0's) to achieve the 18 digit count. That MAY resolve your issue.

Good luck with that...

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

@michael2015
There's no need for that if you first go through alipay. Alipay has several options including 'passport number'.

Matjaz Pinter (11 posts) • 0

Thanks for the response guys. I've tried everything. But thanks to you, now I have a fully functioning Alipay account - which is as good, I guess? It, however, makes no difference to the We Chat pay, at least in my case,

Following all the steps in Wechat, after the pass code verification it asks me to set up a payment password which it does not accept, saying that I would need a Chinese ID linked to the account & we chat.

It seems weird that Alipay works fine, but still no way to get it to work in We Chat. By saying that I can connect cards in Alipay with Wechat, is there another way to do it, except the standard 'add a card' technique?

Thanks

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

You are doing something wrong. The name of your card has to be EXACTLY the same including the space for example if your name is
John Doe on your bank account, you must type it in exactly the same when adding a card on Wechat. If you use JOHN DOE

or john doe or JohnDoe you will not succeed. That was the reason I could succeed after I entered the verification code. The password you enter isthe one you are using is the for Alipay. Are you using a different password?

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

Did you try the Last name first, followed by your first and middle name, with no punctuation marks in between...eg TERRY SMITH would be entered SMITH TERRY...

@LIU
Thanks for the note - I did this several years ago...can't remember, but alipay was definitely easier than WeChat - which took a few goes.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@michael2015
You're welcome.
When you add a card, it must b e exactly like the card. There are no punctuations only a space between first name and last or last name and first.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I have WeChat pay with a Chinese bank card and a passport.
At first I had a lot of trouble setting it up, but in the end it was my account name, which the bank has entered all upper case.

Related forum threads

Login to post