GoKunming Forums

scholarship for learning mandarin

6ravy (10 posts) • 0

Been in kunming in 3 days, and I already heard I can try and get a scholarship to learn mandarin rather than paying a private school.

What are the requirements, I'm 28 and not currently in school. I live in a apartment I want to move out of since there is mold all over it and I didn't see it in the photos before arrival, wondering if it would also be hard to move into a dorm.

sorry for the double thread

Thanks for any Info.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

They do give scholarships so I've heard. I think it's the Confucius institute or something of that nature but It is not easy to get.

6ravy (10 posts) • 0

Ha what makes me flakey, I moved to the other side of the world, with the goal of learning mandarin.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

Usually a person researches BEFORE they come here to obtain a scholarship.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +1

I was sent to China on a scholarship 21 years ago. My government arranged it all through the Chinese consulate back home. I was an unwilling participant back then but it looks a good decision with hindsight.

Now you're in country you will have to do it through an agent, although you'll have to be quick as last week of April I think is the cut off for September starts. It will also depend on your nationality as to what extent you will be covered in your scholarship. Currently Zimbabwean students can get a scholarship plus 2000 RMB a month from the Chinese government plus another 2000 from the Zimbabwean government, depending on your major and if you have a job lined up back home.

You'll also find that most of the scholarships are for masters in disciplines like engineering or business management that have elements of Chinese language within them. The mandarin language scholarships are very few and far between.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

The responders neglected to mention the university degree requirement. Unless you're an independent wealthy investor - you'll need a university degree along with all the apostles or embassy authentications to actually work in this country - unless you're an imported domestic helper (Class C Foreign "Expert"?).

For the Confucius Institute scholarship - if you miss this year, you can always apply for next year or next semester's scholarships, assuming you qualify.

6ravy (10 posts) • 0

Ha maybe you’re right but I’m on the adventure of a life time. I was just asking on options of learning mandarin. Since the ones I saw were expensive. Thanks for your input

Related forum threads

Login to post