GoKunming Forums

Suit Rental

llouis (2 posts) • 0

Hello everyone,

I need help, I explain : one of my best friend will married this summer in Kunming. I'm coming with several other friends for the event, and some of us need to bring a suit + shoes. Did someone know if there is a place we can rent a suit ?

If you have other ideas/options, feel free to let me know.

Thank you

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +3

Bring a suit with you. I have only ever seen morning suits (tails) and tux for rent in China, and that was in Shanghai. Rental was about the same as UK and for that money you can get a cheap suit made. Shoes can also be hit and miss, unless you have smaller feet. Anything bigger than UK8/US9/Eur42 and you are pushing your luck.
If you are already in China, get your suit made before you come to Kunming. I wouldn't leave it to chance on lead times, after you arrive.
Off the peg is not a cheap option in China, as it will be luxury brand item most likely, even if you can find something to buy.
If you are going to a standard Chinese wedding, check the dress code with your friend, a suit may not be required. Most of the weddings I have been to, only the groom and sometimes best man wore suits. Others smart casual, and others just casual. The wedding photos are usually done months in advance, so you don't need to worry about being smart for those.

llouis (2 posts) • 0

Ok, I think you're right, we will bring our suits with us + the Chinese sizes may be too little for us. It's look more difficult than expected (I lived there during a couple of months in 2015/2016, but I wasn't able to remember if they had such services)

Big thanks for your answer :)

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +4

I've attended many wedding and in all of them people dress as they wish. There is no pressure to 'dress to impress'.

Don't waste your money on a suit that you will seldom wear.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +3

I've usually worn a suit to the wedding only to discover the only other person wearing a suit was the groom.
Some people dress nicely and some are decidedly extremely casual.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Agree with above comments, unless the wedding invitation specifically says dress attire or you're part of the wedding party, no one else usually wears a suit to a wedding in Kunming.

darkone264 (108 posts) • -1

interested in a place to rent a nice suit a well, as I am the groom I do need one, since I don't normally wear suits and don't go to functions often that would require such formal wear renting would be the better option for me

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Renting might be a problem. If you put out an APB (classified ad) with your height and sizes, someone might be able to lend you one, if you promise to dry clean it afterwards.
Something like
HELP! I need to borrow a suit for my wedding.

Related forum threads

Login to post