GoKunming Forums

Weather Proofing a Map

Burgon (42 posts) • 0

This is a long shot, but if anywhere can do it, China can. But where?

I'm looking to print some detailed, non-Chinese, 1:25,000 scale maps off a website; approx. A3 size. I'd like the maps to be weather proofed but at the same time easily foldable. Laminating (as in conventional laminating) is out.

The Ordanance Survey in the UK print them and they're aptly called Weather Proof maps. (www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/active-maps.html)

Obviously I'm trying to do this cheaper than actually buying one as I'd like to create a small selection. I also have the maps on a GPS so the 'weather-proofed' maps would be for back up.

Any ideas anybody?

Cheers!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

There are several tutorials for weather proofing paper online, if you do a search. It might be better to make sure the maps are printed with a laserjet printer, and not an ink jet, for methods using solutions.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +2

There are several printing places in town that print up to multiple square metres on plastic so no problem. I have several maps printed on plastic and they are very waterproof.
Laminating them after that to make them even more sturdy is no problem either (I used that method in order to use non-permanent markers on them for presentations and briefings).

Burgon (42 posts) • 0

Thanks, tiger tiger. I might check that out.

@lemon lover Would you know the location of any near the city zoo?

Related forum threads

Login to post