GoKunming Forums

Renting a ROOM

miealex (46 posts) • 0

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums for a couple of months now. I have a quick question, I have heard that when it comes to renting an apartment you should wait until you arrive and visit one of the many estate agents in the area you want to live.

My question is, does that also apply for renting rooms? I am hoping to find a room (possibly with my own bathroom, but it's not essential) once I get to Kunming. Any advice or tips are most welcome. I will be working around the Gaoxin area so anything around there/ close to there/ easily accessible by public transport would be good.

I did consider renting my own apartment but I figure I can save a few more pennies this way.

I know there are countless threads on here regarding housing but most of them are a little dated so I figured it would be ok to post this.

Thanks in advance everyone and enjoy your week!

miealex (46 posts) • 0

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I arrive at the start of May but I will be staying with a friend for the first couple of months.

Just wondered how easy/ difficult it was to find rooms but from what tigertiger is saying, they don't pop up that often.

Haali (1178 posts) • +2

rooms are quite often advertised on here but the chances of it being in the exact neighborhood and suiting your needs aren't high

alienew (422 posts) • 0

If you've got a place to stay for the first 2 months you'll have plenty of time to find the answers to your other questions en situ before you will need to get your own place. Always best to deal with things at ground level.

kurtosis (86 posts) • 0

If you're comfortable living with Chinese it's a matter of one afternoon to find a room... I never organized an accommodation before arriving in Kunming - usually just a hotel for a few days.

miealex (46 posts) • 0

Is there any reason to not be comfortable living with Chinese? I kind of took that as a given considering I'm moving to China. Haha.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, alienew is right. I'll hopefully have some time once I get there to figure things out.

Haali (1178 posts) • +1

you may find some Chinese to be terrible house mates... of course the same applies to non chinese

Related forum threads

Login to post