GoKunming Forums

Chinese perception of foreign restaurants

sanfranciscoguy888 (26 posts) • 0

In light of Trump starting a trade war, what is the average Chinese feelings about foreign restaurants like McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks? They seem to hire lots of Chinese including manager. Do you think there'll be a backlash against companies like McDonalds and Starbucks, and maybe Chinese will boycott these brands in favor of Chinese-born companies, like say they boycott KFC in favor of Dico's? Are they already doing that?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +2

All they care about is feeding their hunger. Doesn't matter where. There are plenty of places to choose from both Chinese and foreign.

nnoble (889 posts) • +1

China is above all that now. They are setting the rules and have no need to respond at that level. This doesn't rule out hotheads taking unilateral action.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

Most KFC etc are franchises with Chinese ownership. Having said that I have seen Japanese franchise restaurants attacked during times of anti Japanese sentiment. It only takes a change in public sentiment, driven by social media and perhaps not discouraged by other influencers.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • +2

No, I don't think the Chinese will boycott any such franchises, not over a trade war. Maybe in the event of a confrontation in the S. China Sea or an "accidental" bombing of one of their embassies, but not this. If anything, the locals may charge more laowai taxes, more often. You know, the price hike they often do when they see the consumer is white.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

@tiger and McDonald's China operations are mostly owned by citic capital, which is basically a chinese sovereign wealth fund according to my understanding.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

McD and KFC patrons will just claim hamburgers and fried chicken are are Korean, same as sushi :)

alienew (422 posts) • -1

@Stratocaster: I don't understand the 'taxes' you mention. I have a white face but don't get price hikes in restaurants, Chinese or foreign.

Related forum threads

Login to post