GoKunming Forums

Pollution issues

ETDemo (4 posts) • 0

Hi

Can anyone provide some insights as to the pollution level in Kunming (air, water and food) ? I am considering an assignment in Kunming and having young kids am concerned about these issues. Is organic food available there?
Thanks a Lot!

kurtosis (86 posts) • -1

Air pollution is an issue and PM 2.5 pollution values tend to be well above WHO thresholds. This being said, Kunming is still one of the cleanest cities in China. Air pollution values are comparable with dirtier western metropoleis such as Los Angeles.

Food wise things are far from western standards. You won't be served GMO food as this is mostly banned under Chinese regulations and you can buy veggies directly from the farmers very cheaply which is probably as close to "organic" as you may get.

However, diseases are a considerable problem for people who aren't used to the food, especially when eating out, as hygiene conditions are far from optimal.

But then again, as a person from a western country who is suffering from severe allergies as the conditions I grew up in were too clean, I must say that a certain amount of "dirty" food during my childhood would have improved my adult life significantly.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • -1

For air quality go to aqicn.com and type in any city. When you buy fresh vegetables you must them thoroughly before cooking. Eating out is less of an issue than 10 years ago but still far from ideal.

Cahzriel (26 posts) • 0

I agree - as someone from California, Kunming and Los Angeles are pretty comparable in terms of air quality. Looking out my window on the 27th floor right now, I see the same vague haze resting over the city that I've seen many times in LA.

Most people get sick traveling to foreigners, because of the whole "introducing immune system to a new set of bacteria" thing, but that's true for travel almost anywhere. At least, my biologist friend said once you move 40 miles outside your sphere of activity, you're already introduced a completely new set of bacteria into your body.

The biggest worry for me is the soil and water pollution, because they're more difficult to "see" but can have much more serious impact. How do you know the vegetables you're eating weren't grown in a field that had toxic waste spillage? You simply can't, and once you start to travel around the countryside, you realize that most of these rural farms are some of the more ecologically hazardous places around.

As for water, this is a real shame. I grew up swimming in rivers, but would never swim in open water in China. Even in small, remote villages up in Shangri-la, where the water appears crystal clear and pure, there are huge dumping sites at points all along the river. No one drinks the tap water - unless it's boiled first. It's pretty disheartening. I don't think I would be comfortable raising children in China.

That being said, Kunming is a rare gem here, and if I absolutely had to start a family in the Middle Kingdom, Kunming would undoubtedly be high on the list of places to settle. Compared to other cities, especially mega-cities on the eastern seaboard, this is a very clean place, with ample direct access to farmers.

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • +1

For well over 2 weeks PM 2.5 levels have constantly been in the red zone. Major roads are kept wet at night and I noticed trucks with cannons spraying mists in Jinse road up north. Most locals rely on their Chinese weather forecasts which report PM values constantly lower than aqicn.org/city/kunming/
Not to mention those who smoke cigarettes in traffic and keep car windows constantly open.
LA today is at yellow levels. You have orange and red to reach Kunming. The stark difference of humidity levels of the two cities (KM being very dry) makes it hard to draw any comparison anyway.

alienew (422 posts) • +1

Most of the above is true but note that a lot of kids grow up in Kunming and, although I'm sure you can, as in other places, find kids who have suffered or do suffer serious consequences from pollution if you look far enough, I' can't remember having met or known about any kids who have so suffered in the 13&1/2 years I've been here. Like everyone else I boil my drinking water and eat whatever I want and buy vegetables and meat in the market. Reasonable care and I doubt you'll have any serious problems (naturally, you have to adjust, as anywhere). Plenty of other places are worse, in China and internationally.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

I agree with Alienew. I wouldn't bring my son up here if I thought there was a particular life-affecting risk. Nowhere in the world is 100% safe and Kunming is better than many/most places Sensible precautions, of course, but don't let fear stop you doing something new and interesting.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I too agree but think twice before eating or buying stuff. Don't assume what you are eating or buying is the real thing. Check the source when you're able to. There are just too many fake products amd foodstuff beomg sold in China especially.

Related forum threads

Login to post