GoKunming Forums

How to ship a cellphone to America

12345 (107 posts) • 0

DHL, Post and kuaidi companies won't touch it because of battery, saying customs won't let it through. I heard once somebody saying that there was a way to send a package to some agent in Shenzhen who'd presumably get it to HK overland, whence it could be airshipped.
Thank you

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

see if you can send it by sea, it will take a month or so but if you are in no hurry. not sure how to go about that sorry. try chinapost as a start. maybe try logistics companiies, lots of these in kunming

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

Can't you disguise it in a book. Cut out the inside of a book and put the phone inside.

12345 (107 posts) • 0

i think they might open it up before sending, plus there might be some law about misdeclaring package contents, but the sea route could work. perhaps the ban only applies to air. i'll try one try.

some lady in line wanted to send something liquid and they also turned it down, despite the fact that it had been shipped to her by the postal service and she was just returning it without opening. they said it'd been shipped against regulations.
needless to say all kuaidi companies happily ship liquids and batteries domestically all day long.

kinda reminds one of walmart stubbornly sticking to brick and mortar in the face of amazon.

there's some general brouhaha about batteries all of a sudden. in my xiaoqu they just posted notices about moped batteries burning at 1200 degrees in 30 seconds, and banning taking mopeds in the elevator (which i do a few times a day, as do a few people who followed suit because it saves the five-minute walk to parking). i think they even posted a guard downstairs with a walkie-talkie, in my honor. batteries are evil, apparently. but people in every single apartment smoking on their sofas and cooking on open flame with oil spray flying in every direction, totally fine.

i don't read the news; was there some battery-related disaster i'm not aware of recently?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Lion batteries are extremely dangerous. China has pretty strict rules and documentation requirements for export for batteries and whatever they are installed in.

DHL is about the only freight company that will handle Lion batteries but you need to ship in Shenzhen. Special packaging and labeling is also required both in China and the US even for the small 'coin' batteries.

About 2 years ago I had a shipment delayed for 3 months due to the Shanghai factory not having the battery specs correct. Stuff was in Shenzhen waiting for the paperwork. 36 hours after the stuff was released, I got it.

Related forum threads

Login to post