GoKunming Forums

Education costs

Leigh2305 (5 posts) • 0

Me and my partner are looking at moving to Kunming. We have a 7 year old and nearly 2 year old. There is very little information about the costs or options when it comes to school.

I am going to teach English as a foreign language and have seen salaries in the region of 8-10,000 yuan per month. Is this enough to realistically pay for education for 2 children and also live on?

Leigh2305 (5 posts) • 0

I didn’t think it was but I am trying to find out what realistic education costs are.

Can British children be educated in Chinese schools or do they have to go to international schools?
Thanks

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

Maybe you know this already, but in China there are two kinds of international schools - though my information on this is a few years old.

The other kind is exclusively for foreigners, to the extent that foreign passport is a requirement for enrollment.

In this category Kunming has only one international school, Kunming International Academy or KIA. Last I checked, you would spend almost all of your salary just to enroll one of your kids there.

In KIA's neighbour there is (at least used to be) a school for Chinese kids, and the two schools share sport field and probably other resources as well. I expect that Chinese school to be equally expensive.

The other kind of "international school" in China accepts also Chinese students, and the "international" in their name is usually primarily to lure more paying (Chinese) customers.

Foreign nationals are allowed to enroll in Chinese schools, but of course they would have too understand and speak sufficient Chinese, and they may be subject to some unwanted indoctrination to Chinese system.

Some Chinese schools reportedly gladly accept foreign children to raise their profile and give the Chinese pupils free English training, while others have been know to try to leech more money from foreign families.

Leigh2305 (5 posts) • 0

Thank you. We are looking to learn Chinese before arrival with the 7 year old. Who is a quick learner.

There is very little information available regarding costs.

Would a 8,000 to 10,000 be enough to support a family in Kunming as I have seen living cost charts but wanting to gather all information before we commit properly to it.

Thanks

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

With that money alone, you would have to give up quite a bit in quality of life - I assume, but of course I don't know what you are accustomed now.

But if you get free apartment for the whole family and other benefits on top of that salary, it may be doable at least for the experience. That offer is usually on table for majority of qualified teachers, but then again majority of such teachers come single.

I doubt that any employer offering that salary range is going to throw in such support for (I assume) 1 more adult and 2 children. You'd have to be really good.

Leigh2305 (5 posts) • 0

We currently both work part time with wages just above minimum wage. So not a fantastic cost for living in the uk. We currently rarely eat out and no vacations. So I don’t think that would be an issue. We are also looking into what type of role my partner could do.

How family friendly are employers in Kunming.

Thanyou

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

OK you need to be realistic. Unless your wife also has a work visa she cannot work legally, and illegal work is usually in food or hospitality at local below minimum wage levels. She could be a tutor from home, but again very low pay for that. Minimum wage in Kunming is about one pound 50 per hour.

IF you are a qualified teacher (BEd or PGCE) then working in an international school may get you free places.
If you have a post teaching English in a university, you will get an apartment and you can afford to live, but your kids will need to go into a local school, and your 7 year old will find it difficult as all instruction will be in Chinese. f
If you are on some kind of mission, then your church must agree to pay for your kids education. Otherwise your kids will be paying long term for your sacrifice.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +2

I'm British. Chinese wife. My 5-year old goes to a good, Chinese Kindergarten. As a rough idea for you the basic cost is about 9000RMB for half a year. On top of that is irregular costs (uniform, outings, etc) and "gifts" for teachers!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I'm British. Chinese wife. My 5-year old goes to a good, Chinese Kindergarten. As a rough idea for you the basic cost is about 9000RMB for half a year. On top of that is irregular costs (uniform, outings, etc) and "gifts" for teachers!

Related forum threads

Login to post