GoKunming Forums

Good news for pandas and panda lovers!

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@tiger: You may be right, but don't give up.
@dazzer: I think I've heard of this turkey, whose destiny doesn't concern me at the moment. However, I am concerned about the widespread, organized and impersonal murder of domestic pigs for food and profit - what to do? Campaigns by vegetarians and a few animal lovers to glorify the pig don't seem to help much; opposition by Jews and Muslims and brahmins and some, but not all, Buddhists works better, at least for those who are already on board these identities for other reasons...I think nonreligious efforts get smothered by the pig raisers' wealthy and powerful lobby, and by the wonderful taste of bacon acquired by so many, thanks to their parents.
Perhaps we need more sentimental appeals to kids and sentimentalists generally to save the pigs, or more articles about the great intelligence of pigs vs. the obvious stupidity of pandas. Of course extinction is not something likely to happen to domestic pigs, except as a possible second-hand result of other human activities, but then I doubt whether those on the point of being murdered are often concerned with the preservation of their species.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

the turkey and our destinies are intertwined. when the turkey farts we all hear the echo, but even in china we will feel the ripples. a few false moves by the turkey and things could change a little for big nose even here. even if they int merican

dolphin (509 posts) • -2

pandas will officially have a better life than me now, if they didn't already.

alienew,

pork has sustained the lives of millions of chinese folks for centuries. slaughtering animals is cruel? people starving to death is also cruel. it's the way the man in the sky designed it. they are serving a noble cause and go to Hog Heaven when they give their flesh for us. Don't you worry about the pigs.

Pig farmers have a powerful lobby? So do the margarine folks .. and margarine is one molecule away from plastic. (any chemists here to confirm this?)

ps. how do you know a pig is smarter than a panda? IQ test?

Which Shakespearean sonnet does the phrase "to be or not to be?" come from?

Panda: I dunno. Pass the bamboo.
Pig: Oh, I know that one! I am a Rhodes Scholar.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

On the topic of pigs and live stock in China (though elsewhere too) in general, is that some human starvation has been prevented by stocking the animals up with hormones and antibiotics to make them grow healthier and faster.

Side effect of course is, that those same hormones end up in rivers, lakes and oceans, and who knows what famine or other plight that will contribute to in the future.

Research shows the same growth increase in pigs (as can be expected from small doses of otherwise unnecessary antibiotics) can be achieved by improved hygiene and non-medical care in their production chain.

But in many parts of rural Chinese this is simply not doable, thus they keep doping them up.

Related forum threads

Login to post