GoKunming Forums

Solar Charger

Burgon (42 posts) • 0

Hi,

I'm looking for a solar charger.
I've looked about in a few outdoor gear shops, but i've only seen a ridiculously sized one for almost 900RMB!
Does anyone know where I could buy a cheaper, more compact model? Or, if anyone has one for sale, i'd consider. It would be for charging a mobile and/or a tablet.
Cheers!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There are loads on Taobao. s.taobao.com/[...] Prices vary a lot, and so do the power outputs. There are many folding portable sets, but these are pretty large when folded out. You need to find out the Wattage you will require to charge your tablet, I am sure there is a Google answer somewhere out there.
I would also do a search of JD.com, the consumer feedback might also be a bit more useful on JD.

Burgon (42 posts) • 0

Thanks tigertiger

I'm aware of the wattage and of buying on Taobao. I was actually hoping to buy in a shop. Possibly more expensive, but it's my preferred way for electronics.

I'll keep searching. If nothing, Taobao it is.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

JD is probably safest. Some of the things that you buy cheaper may not be fully functional and have faulty cells. Like LED floodlights the cheap ones often have faulty cells, but you would never know unless you know what to look for, because things that fail QC are just offloaded at the big markets and then trickle down. They usually trickle down to the small shops and small suppliers. Buying from flagship stores via JD or TMall is something I would recommend.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I assume you know most solar chargers that don't come with hefty panels will take more than one day to charge a tablet. It maybe better to spend the money on battery packs if you're only planning three days out. If you're going out long, then best to read the Amazon reviews of solar chargers and then find the one that resembles on tmall.

Burgon (42 posts) • 0

Thanks guys. It's looking like an online purchase.

@AlexKMG Yep, fully aware. I actually have 2 battery packs, but i'll be out for 14 days. I'm after one that'll sit easily on my seat bag whist riding to catch the rays.
Although I might stay in the odd hotel where I can charge, I don't want to rely on that. I want to be as self-sufficient as poss.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@AlexKMG

I agree with you. Using solar panels to recharge devices is usually a loser. Many years ago I bought a very expensive solar panel set up to charge a battery on a sailboat. Didn't work out. A second battery did.

I have a ZeroLemon battery "bank" with a built in solar panel and it never fully charges.

I use a 30000mAh bank for trips but it can't fly. I use a 2000mAh bank for air travel.

These banks are great but be sure of the quality. They can turn into nasty little bombs.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

if you stop for lunch by the roadside, they will let you plug in to charge, and maybe additional battery pack,. dunno if the one that fits on yer back will be big enough to do the job, unless they got much better recently

Related forum threads

Login to post