GoKunming Forums

Residence permit.

kmting (36 posts) • 0

Hi,

Are there any catches when it comes to getting a Z visa from another city but living in Kunming. Most of my work would be online so it makes little difference as to which city i am living in. I prefer kunming but i have a feeling there is a rule against doing this. Surely the residence permit must be in the same location as the employer? Or that not important?

E.g i have a work visa from Guangzhou. But i want to work and live in Kunming. Where should the residence permit be registered and id it allowed?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

I don't know about now, but it used to be an issue. The work visa is issued by a particular office, that is processed in conjunction with the local labor bureau. This would be after an employment offer from a local company.
This is a problem. If you move to another area, it is impossible (legally) to hide this, as you need to register a local address with a PSB local to where you live. They would see that the visa was issued by another city. I believe that there is now a national visa database. You are likely to be flagged.
The only way around this would be to have a permanent address in Guanzhou, and then live in hotels or AirBnB whilst out of the city. Perhaps not legal, but not easily traceable, currently.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

I don't have experience with Z visa, but my first year in China was with the old kind of F business visa with a legitimate partner company in Wuhan, and I never have even visited Wuhan.

It was never an issue with anything in Kunming during that year. I rented apartment and registered at PSB normally.

Though that visa had 90 days per visit, and there was no residence permit.

The flags that may get up in systems, is to check whether you are secretly working for another employer in Kunming with illegitimate employer in Guangzhou.

But if you can prove that you are legit, in your situation I would go with it and deal with such troubles as they come.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

My best guess is that it shouldn't be an issue. You could always say you're company has you out in Kunming for months at a time for a project. What you mustn't do is not register where you are abiding as a foreigner, even with airbnb or sublets. That's clearly a visa violation and permanent system black mark if caught.

Related forum threads

Login to post