GoKunming Forums

Organ donation

Leland (17 posts) • 0

Hey everybody! This question is a bit morbid, so sorry. Don't read if you are squeamish. In my country if you want, you can apply for a "Organ donor volunteer form", which is basically just a form from a notary public, which says that if you die (due to the accident, for instance), it's ok for the hospital to transplant your organs. I was thinking about this for a while, being a regular blood donor and not religious, this just seems right to me. Is there such a form here, in China? Have you ever heard of anything like that? When i asked my Chinese colleagues about it, they were completely stamped by the question. Where would i go about making something like that? Doctors? Red cross? Notary public? Do you need to do it in the place you're registered? or can i just do it in any big city?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

It might be worth asking the staff, next time you donate blood. They may have some knowledge of this. You could also ask at the hospital, go to the wards that treat liver and kidney problems. Ask to see a senior doctor or the director. The nurses probably won't know.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

Organ donation is generally considered against traditional Chinese customs to treat their dead, which is why it is still so rare and why your Chinese colleaques would not have heard of such.

Even if a random Chinese would sign into this, his or her family may seriously object to it once they pass away.

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

JanJal what you are saying is a twist of Chinese culture which makes sense but certainly bad in the modern world. Can somebody else back him up?

Ok... Doing some research the topic gets very political online. But the first link here and mention to Alipay is interesting
washingtonpost.com/[...]

Can we sign up with the app directly even without an id card? I don't seem to find a way myself www.sixthtone.com/[...]

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

You can sign up with Alipay using your passport too. They have that option. You can also select the language on the Alipay app.

I just signed up recently.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

@ricsnap: "Chinese culture which makes sense but certainly bad in the modern world"

Certainly I wasn't trying to defend the cultural tradition in any way, I was just stating how it is.

Leland (17 posts) • 0

@ricsnap wow, thanks for the link! yeah, i see you can register as a volunteer.

@tigertiger yeah, i'll ask them at the blood donation station, that's a good idea.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@Leland: Note that, culturally, many consider that there is 'Chinese blood', 'Caucasian blood', 'Japanese blood', etc. - I'll bet there are the same considerations concerning organs for transplant.

Leland (17 posts) • 0

@alienew I am sure desperate sick people are not gonna pick and choose which organs are 'racially appropriate' for them. that's for one. organ donation is anonymous, the recipients are not gonna find out that the organs come from a white person. and finally, doctors are not as ignorant as that. at least no one has ever declined my blood donation because i am white :)

Related forum threads

Login to post