GoKunming Forums

PhD Programs in northern Kunming?

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • 0

In defense of OP, our Spring City's new expatriate who already has achieved an established career, family, & world citizenry, not all life meanings henceforth would come solely from the pursuit of a job remuneration.

Perhaps teaching at the collegiate level in a field of one's interest could bring greater life purpose. A logotherapy concept developed by Victor Frankl.

"Argumentum ad populum" - the majority consensus of naysayers in this thread may not be correct in disillusioning OP's search for deeper, personal life meaning...

on the flip side, nor is the logical groundedness of religiosity practiced by majority of the world population, for that matter.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I was told that the old campuses must remain, regulatory reason.
From what I can understand, there are still research centers in the old campuses. Some of the older or smaller departments would be the last to move. The teaching departments (undergrad) and those needing high-tech resources would be the first to move.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

dunno if i would say religion is useless in china as it seems to be growing rapidly in china and there also seems to be lot of money in it as lots of old temples have been revamped, and extended in recent years, some temples have even be resurected. xtianity and islamism is also undergiong a lot in china at the moment. that would make a study of its own.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Anyone that thinks people only go to university to get a job out of it are either extremely thick or concernedly narrow minded.
Furthermore, as Dazzer has noted, religion in China is hugely popular and if you actually get out and delve deeper, there currently exists both a lot of interest in it and plentiful questions surrounding it. For those that haven't noticed, religion (in the name of it) is a major cause of death and destruction in the world whilst at the same time being a saviour and bringing meaning to life for billions. Religion is therefore is an excellent choice for a phd and totally relevant.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I would also add that you don't need to be religious, or devotee of any particular religion, to benefit from pursuing higher degree in such field.

Even a fierce atheist trying to bring down all religous systems would probably benefit most from studying religions at higher level.

Universities are no longer places of worship in the west, and certainly not in China.

Personally, as an atheist tax payer from a country where the state provides free higher education to all who want, I would at least hope that people enrolling in fields in religion or other humanities consider their employment opportunities (=money).

Usually in modern societies, if you don't care about money, someone else has to.

It doesn't have to be about getting filthy rich, but just to get by.

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

if you are opposed to accumulation of excessive wealth, does that mean you shouldn't make any efforts to make money? priests, nuns, and monks take vows of poverty ... that's always a career option.

while i appreciate the points made by all, janjal's comment is similar to what I was thinking.

I can't afford to do a phd with no job waiting for me ... for my personal situation, i would consider it unethical. I don't have the luxury of wasting all that time. If you can afford it, lucky you. Studying is more fun than the real world.

iTeach (96 posts) • +1

Studying is part of the real world, it's a luxury only viewed from the politics of envy and throwing unethical into the discussion in a sly way is,, unethical.

Related forum threads

Login to post