GoKunming Forums

Expat Family Housing Area?

Liren (13 posts) • +1

Does anyone have an updated synopsis of high-end, family-friendly expat housing in Kunming? My company is moving us to Kunming this summer and we are interested in an expat housing community like we had in Beijing. I've read on this website that living near the German Metro store in Beichen is the best. Any other ideas or realtor contacts?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

The hupan neighborhood around KIA probably qualifies as expat housing. We also have villas in the south along dianchi or behind the intercontinental (rent cheap compared to Beijing), but you'll need a car, as there won't be amenities walking distance like in hupan, also you'll be alone expat wise in a villa unlike hupan which has a fair number of expat families, albeit many Christian or missionary related, but they're not preachy while they chill in Kunming.

Haali (1178 posts) • +1

How many children/people do you need to accommodate? If you want a lot of space, you may be able to rent a villa in the south, but it'll cost silly money compared to normal apartments. Otherwise, there are large 4/5 bedroom apartments (150-200m2) available all around the city but especially in the south. It goes without saying that you can't expect high quality fit, finish, or furniture anywhere in KM so be ready for that. You could also consider a 3/4 bedoom apartment in the city centre. If you work is in the centre, it might be a good option.

Liren (13 posts) • 0

Thank you @AlexKMG and @Haali for your inputs because it appears that there are benefits to all locations.

We are interested in a nice villa (my company will pay the bill) if possible. Is there a name for some of the villa subdivisions like in Beijing? Are they near the universities? I will also be taking PhD classes, so that could be convenient.

However, we are also very interested in being near other expats and the amenities (like the Metro store). We have no older children, so schooling is not an issue.

Thank you again for your great inputs. This helps a lot--and we're looking forward to flying out there in a few weeks.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

Kunming is not so simple - best to show up, stay in a hotel and look around a bit before you decide where to live. Some people live near Beichen and like it I suppose, but personally I wouldn't want to live there - too far from interesting stomping grounds, which are near the old campuses of about 4 different universities.

Haali (1178 posts) • +1

@Liren The main villa areas are close to the shores of lake Dianchi and not near any major universities. I have also seen some new villas near the waterfall park in the far north of the city. There is a Metro store in the south (on Guangfu Road), but personally I live in the south near KIA and shop at Walmart and Carre Four, both of which have a reasonable amount of products that expats might like. Even though the new Metro isn't too far away from me I seldom go. There are foreigners living in my area - I occasionally see them walking by but I've never had a conversation with any of them.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Since your company is relocating you, I suspect that you will not be working as a teacher nor doing research in universities here, so proxmity to universities is not necessity I figure.

I think the only concern for you seems to be in vicinity of other epats.

You will not find similar expat quarters here as you may find in Beijing. Some places just have more foreigners than others, and most don't stay long term. But there just isn't enough foreigners here to make such ghettos.

Rather than having foreigners as neighbours, I would probably worry more about having a neighbourhood with foreigner friendly aminities, such as Metro for groceries and restaurants with English menus within walking distance. But if you can get by in Chinese, that's not so big a deal.

Liren (13 posts) • 0

@alienew: okay, great--I've got a flight scheduled for March to fly in and stay at the InterContinental for a week to look around. Any suggestions for the week?

@Haali: the villas on the shores of lake Dianchi sound great, but how far away are they from your place near the new Metro/KIA/CarreFour/Walmart/etc? We would prefer a nice villa, but we also don't want to live in an abandoned area like we experienced in some of the villa subdivisions in Beijing.

@JanJal: yeah, proximity to universities isn't too important, but I do hope to take a few PhD classes there (but not a priority). Primary goal is to live in a Beijing-like foreigner villa neighborhood which appears to not really be a thing in Kunming yet--which is really good to know!

All: any recommendations for realtors?

redjon777 (560 posts) • +1

If your staying at the InterContinental then this area www.google.co.jp/[...] would be worth your time checking out as it's only 5 minutes in a cab. Not only is it located around two large shopping malls it has a seemingly popular international school. Everyday I see lot's of foreigners around there, more than other places I visit anyway. Also it's all new buildings with the French 1904 area (think that's the name of the mall) having housing near to it that's very westernised in design if the companies paying.

The link I showed is located around two major roads in dianchi lu and guangfu lu as well.

Anyway, near where your staying for a week so worth a look even if just for a meal ;o)

Oops, just remembered you'll need a vpn for the link if you're in China already.

Related forum threads

Login to post