GoKunming Forums

Thanksgiving

Peter99 (1246 posts) • -1

Yea, Liu, they are working overtime on Christians now. Thanksgiving is already on the target.

May God Bless your Thanksgiving Day this year.

:)

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +2

I had very little idea what Thanksgiving was before coming to China. Chinese think it's celebrated by all foreigners and most Americans seem to think the same. Thankfully it hasn't (yet) grown to the monstrous proportions of Halloween.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +3

@Peter99
Thanks. You too..
@cloudtrapzer
I agree holidays are too commercialized to the point of feeling pressure to conform. Many people into debt to please for the sake of the holidays. Too bad it had gotten so bad.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@Geezer I to got my previous (xmas) Turkeys in Wicker basket, they're always good for this part of the year.
Maybe California's China town accounts to our expat bars ;o)

@Alien I know what it is, it's basic history, just saying it's not a big thing to the rest of us. If it was political rather than the cultural traditions and family based thing it is I doubt celebrations would be too big.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

In Japan, Thanksgiving is huge but all about getting a KFC chicken dinner. However, don't think Thanksgiving is going to take off in China ever.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@tiger: yes, but Thanksgiving is a family eating affair combined with a Thanks, God thing. China has plenty of excuses for family eating already (best example obviously Spring Festival), and not so much interest in thanking God for it. Halloween, on the other hand, is a riot of play that involves various evil beings, etc.; Chinese religion has plenty of beings, evil & otherwise; easy to see how all this appeals to the relatively young.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

I think the point is that you can commercialize anything.

The example AlexKMG made about thanksgiving in Japan and KFC makes the case.

Related forum threads

Login to post