GoKunming Forums

I CAN'T FIND......WHAT ?

Alcond (8 posts) • 0

Smillz... This is in answer to your post back in February about finding jeans that fit. Jeans or any other articles of clothing are available in unbelievable abundance at the huge, Luo Si Wan, clothing center: 昆明市官渡区彩云北路宏仁片区 (kūn míng shì guān dù qū cǎi yún beǐ lù hóng rén piàn qū). The old location has been leveled but the new one, which is further away, is definitely worth the trip. Allow time for the outing because the place is gigantic. Go to the shops that specialize in clothing for pregnant women and try things on. You will be amazed to find comfortable, stretch fabric clothing that fits. Also, China is wonderful. There are excellent, inexpensive tailors all over the place. You can purchase oversize clothes and have them custom fitted, just the way you like them. It's a good idea to try on basted (tacked together) alterations before the final assembly to make sure everything fits exactly the way you like.

esther (13 posts) • 0

-balsamico vinegar
-female clothes (1,80m) without going to a tailor
-dark bread

apart from that im surprisingly fine. love pauls, even though its of course more expensive than back home. also found non-sweet bread and kind of good joghurt. ah yeah, and most of the time im satisfied by great chinese food anyway.

mingbai (18 posts) • 0

Things I'm missing here-

Lentils (for Dal)
Good Tahini (that is good enough for Hummus), and while at it- good Halva wouldn't hurt either.
Camomile tea, Tulsi tea

Nature shops

Decent Dancing studios (somewhere near Cui hu, Wenlin Jie area)

Alcond (8 posts) • 0

Hi Esther, trust me, you can find clothes that fit at Luosiwan. Balsamic vinegar is probably nonexistent, but many other delicious Chinese and Japanese vinegars are available. Metro, a German company, has excellent, dark bread. Mingbai... all the markets carry fresh sesame seeds. Making tahini and excellent halva is easy. For centuries they have been made using a mortar and pestle but a cheap, electric coffee grinder does a good job, too. China is the home of tea. Chamomile tea, is ju hua cha (菊花茶) and available everywhere. And what type of dance? Dance schools are all over the place. Ballet and Latin are standards here. To make friends with English speaking locals, who will be happy to show you around, come to the best English Corner around. We meet every Saturday morning from ten AM to twelve at the Main, Green Lake Library. Come to the Foreign Books sectionon on the fifth floor. (There is a great selection of your favorite magazines in English.) Don't miss it!

esther (13 posts) • 0

hey, ok, Luosiwan sounds really great, maybe I should go and have a look, is it far away? and can you tell me which bus to take from the wenlinjie/ shifan daxue area??
have been to metro once, they have an incredible selection of (cheap!) western liquor, but i was kind of disappointed of the bread, but maybe i just went there the wrong time or so...

Alcond (8 posts) • 0

Esther... Check the Daniel S. post just above your first entry (Where you mentioned yogurt) for a map. Luosiwan is down toward Diane Lake past the airport. You really need a Chinese friend to help you with getting the right bus because there are small, independent buses that will take you directly there really cheap. They are for transporting customers to Luosiwan. Metro has trained bakers. If you ask for a certain brown bread and explain through one of their store interpreters they can make you anything you want. Thinking of yogurt, have you ever made your own? It is easy and you can perfect what you personally enjoy. A small electric heating pad in a Styrofoam cooler that accommodates a large plastic container is all you need. Use powdered milk from Walmart, (it is sterile and cheap) and some good local yogurt as starter.

Related forum threads

Login to post