GoKunming Forums

Whither Zimbabwe?

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

Sorry, I know the only connection here may be Napoleon. I'd like to hear his, or anyone else's, view on the news coming out of Zimbabwe. Any Chinese connections? If people don't want to talk about it here, I'm fine with that too.

Lanajot (61 posts) • +3

We are South Africans and are keeping an eye on the news. Something was bound to happen sooner or later. Latest update from heraldlive:

"A number of Zimbabwean cabinet ministers have been arrested after the military made a show of force in the capital Harare‚ according to sources.

Loud explosions and the sound of gunfire crackling in the elite neighborhood of Borrowdale throughout the night heightened fears that a military crackdown was under way.

Several sources told TimesLIVE that the military had arrested the leading figures of the so-called G40 faction in the ruling Zanu-PF‚ led by First Lady Grace Mugabe.

Sources said those arrested included higher education minister Jonathan Moyo‚ local government minister Saviour Kasukuwere and finance minister Ignatius Chombo.

The military said in a statement that President Robert Mugabe was “safe and sound”. This came after armed personnel first began moving military vehicles into Harare on Tuesday."

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +3

@Stratocaster

Nice to see Zimbabwe getting a mention after months of threads being started every time the wind blew in America.

It looks like it was just the back end of a disagreement in ZANU PF from events a few weeks ago, nothing more. Mugabe always has had the military and that wont change in the foreseeable future unless they think he's being taken advantage of in his old age by certain people close to him.

All is quiet in Bulawayo according to the people I have spoken to back home. Whether this is just a flare up or the beginnings of people positioning themselves for either next years elections or the day Bob is no longer with us, we will have to wait and see.

I see it as a big slap on the wrist for Grace.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Looks like I have a new Bossman. It was a long time coming. Having had the same ruler since I was a lad.

Both Moyo and Mnangagwa may be some of the same. I think they have a more welcoming attitude to people of the paler complexion than Mugabe has. For some this is the change they wanted.

Happy to hear that even before they cleared out Mugabe they told the Yanks to go home. Soldiers emptied the embassy of all foreign personnel Monday afternoon.

Only last month Moyo was in China and North Korea, so they will be pushing more of the 'Look East' policy that was put the back burner in more recent times.

Mugabe had done a lot of good, but he played all his cards a long time ago. Since then him and his family, have leached off the country and lived off the 'freedom fighter' tag.

Not sure what to make of it so far, perhaps now the big snake has gone, lots of small snakes will step up to replace him. So long as the election is still going ahead all should be fine and there's reasons to be optimistic, even if I won't be able to vote personally.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Napoleon: "Mogabe had done a lot of good, but..." then, yep. Makes me think of Qadhafi in Libya.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Mugabe had been there too long, and some of his later policies had hurt the economy, and the people. Hopefully the transition to new leadership will remain peaceful, things will settle down quickly to the new status quo, and the economy will get back on track towards growth and prosperity for the people of Zimbabwe. Hopefully.

iTeach (96 posts) • 0

Chinese connection? they built Mugabe's palace aka prison,, his successor will probably hanker after the same gift of appreciation in return for favors.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • +1

Thanks Napoleon and all for sharing your thoughts. I wish nothing but the best for Zimbabwe and still dream of studying the Shona people's Mbira music there someday.

Related forum threads

Login to post