GoKunming Forums

Disposable chopsticks bad for nature

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@JanJal Them spare chopsticks soon become annoying, believe me, I find them in every nook and cranny in my kitchen lol.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Well so far they are neatly packed in old shoeboxes. That'll change once the kid comes of age to play with them, but even then they are probably nicer to step on than Lego blocks (though I cannot see avoiding to get those too).

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

just give them back to the delivery guy. sorry, i already have 200 pairs. you keep them.

satirical, feel free to question my sincerity.

by the way, there is an anti-straw "straws suck" campaign going on ... not in china. straws may not be easy to find in the future, so stock up on them! or, when they're banned in the west, start a black market side hustle exporting them from china (joke!).

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Misfit: Good point. But note also that the entire ideal of democracy rests on the idea that electrons count up too. 'One' is always outnumbered by 'many', and there is an obvious lesson to be learned from the fact. But electrons are useless unless they are informed - so thanks for the post, dolphin, for what it is worth, and for as far as it goes.
Methinks, however, that there is more to do and to consider, as everything is inextricably, and often irresponsibly, connected to everything else.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

if you just give them back to the delivery guy he is mos likely to just dump them in the stairwell, dont expect him to behave responsibly. if you wanna be responsible fine, just donet expepect others to be, collect a load and then take them down to a local noodle shop and just give to them, if it saves them money they will use them and it will be longer before they buy more.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Dazzer: another good idea. But then of course you can stop having food delivered, so that the delivery vehicle is not out there burning petrocarbons, and walk to the nearest noodle shop that does not use throw away chopsticks (take the stairs, it's healthier and you don't waste electric power, run perhaps on coal or forest-destroying people-moving dam sites, in the elevator).
Very difficult to keep clean hands - opportunities for political correctness are inexhaustible, all good - there's no end to tactics of Resistance, although I do think some may be more effective than others.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

...that is collectively owned by the cyclists and that refuse to deliver from restaurants that provide throw away chopsticks, and who will not use elevators.
Man, there's GENIUS on this thread today!

(Confession: I think I ate off paper plates last night at the highly-successful Have a Heart fundraiser. However, I walked home afterwards....but then I bought some bananas on the way home and as I had been too thoughtless to carry my own bag, I accepted the plastic bag into which the hawker put the bananas, and I already have way too many plastic bags in my flat...damn!)

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

The disposable chopsticks are the least environmental bad thing associated with delivery. The amount of plastic containers is frightening. So figuring out what to do with those chopsticks is pretty minor, though personally I use them to apply glue or sealant or bike chain oil. Wouldn't advise letting a child have at them, they splinter sharply.

You'll get the disposable chopsticks regardless. Even in person doing take out, I ask them no chopsticks, but they still include, which I then just take out and put back in their pile. I try and bring my own container to keep down on the plastic, but that only works if I'm starting out from home.

Btw, I think the disposable chopsticks made from bamboo should be pretty much sustainable, not that you get a choice, some restaurants use them some don't.

Related forum threads

Login to post