GoKunming Forums

Walmart no more

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I live here.
I NEED one meal a day that is not Chinese. I tried to eat only Chinese food and actually started to get depressed. I was somehow unbalanced.

When in UK my Chinese wife, like most Chinese people abroad, sought out Chinese food. I fully understood and accepted this. My wife fully understands and accepts my need for familiar food.

Why is it only some Lau Wai who don't get it. There is enough food fascism with some of the radical vegans, thank you very much.

Jiesi (12 posts) • 0

@Danmairen: "Maybe it's because I've reached that magical point where things really start to piss me off here"

I feel for ya. It happens to most of us, I think. Maybe after about 3 months, then 6 etc ;)

Anyway Walmart fruit and veg looks awful compared to what can be bought in the numerous wet markets. I literally only use Walmart for milk, cooking oil, some biscuits and Coke. Metro for cheap import wine, nice breads and various imported stuff. Wet markets for fresh stuff.

@tigertiger: I also understand this need (I'm also a brit, I miss pie and chips for one and beer with flavour AND alcohol above 3% - paying 60kuai for a Guinness makes me choke (Moses bar, anyone?)) but surely you can go get a reasonable amount of familiar veg and cuts of meat at the markets and cook it your own way back home? I have a variety of European friends here who make wonderful dishes of an Italian, American, Brit, or Mediterranean style...

(PS I know I'm going to end up buying a 60kuai Guinness at least once in the next 4 months I have left here... I can't help myself)

Jiesi (12 posts) • 0

PS buying products from the local markets also supports the locals' economy and gives less to Walmart, which, I believe, is a good thing.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I usally do buy from the wet market.
Most of us do need Metro/Wallmart/Carrefour occasionally.

Yes I miss pie and chips too. I get bisto Gravy Granules sent from home as well.

EncryptedEncrypted (114 posts) • 0

"Tigertiger", you complain about people not respecting your desire to eat western meal once in a while and then you call vegan people "fascists".
Vegan people respect life, environment and eat healthy. If your brain is too small to get that, too bad for you.

Cheers.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I doubt I'd be inclined to call a diet that didn't have at least a tiny bit of animal protein in it once in a while 'healthy,' but maybe there's some science on the subject that would disprove me. Of course if you're eating organic you're likely getting some bug meat, so maybe that's enough.

Related forum threads

Login to post