GoKunming Forums

Teaching English in Taiwan

Lanajot (61 posts) • 0

Does anyone know of a reputable agency recruiting ESL teachers in Taiwan? We have friends who want to work there from next year and we would like to give them some sound advice. China is not an option as the lady only has a Diploma. Thanks!

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +1

If she only has a diploma then Taiwan is a no-go. Taiwan requires foreign teachers to be registered teachers in their own countries, with degrees in education and licences from their home board of education.

Whether the training centres are under different rules I am unsure but as far as working in the public sector its a negative I'm afraid.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

try contacting the big names directly and they will tell you of the qualifications need. berlitz, enlish first, wall street . just google learning eng taipei

_shara_ (98 posts) • +1

I thought they will hire people with a university degree in any subject, pretty sure Hess (one of the big chain schools) will because I looked into it several times and I only have a bachelors degree.

Not sure about the diploma though, I think it may be something like a two year diploma plus a TESL certificate.

If they are 30 or under Taiwan has working holiday visa arrangements with some countries also.

_shara_ (98 posts) • +2

I just checked and Hess requires either a bachelors degree or an associates degree plus TESOL/TEFL certificate. So if she has an associates degree (I would need to check exactly what that is I suspect it's two years) perhaps she could do the certificate. www.hess.com.tw/en/careers/requirements.html
Not necessarily recommending Hess I've heard both good and bad things about them, but their requirements probably give a good indication of what's necessary to get the working visa in Taiwan.

Related forum threads

Login to post