GoKunming Forums

Taking a cat out of China

Mancd (3 posts) • 0

Does anyone know how to get a cat out of China and to the UK? If anyone knows any agencies that can help with this please let me know.

Thanks

debaser (647 posts) • 0

As Tiger says, check with the UK authorities. I know of someone who paid quite a lot of money to an agency here to get his dog into the UK. Upon arrival he discovered that much of the essential paperwork hadn't been done, some forms were the 'old versions' and he ended up having to pay again and wait for the correct paperwork.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

The problem is where to get the cat microchipped. The last time I checked you can get this done for a dog in Kunming but not for a cat. If anyone knows where to get it done I'd also like to know.

Daryl9905Daryl9905 (15 posts) • 0

I believe that if you fly through Korea You don't need to quarantine, though you'd have to do a little bit of research. Good luck!

The Scouser (41 posts) • +1

It is true that animals going to Korea don't need to pass quarantine, if you take them over the border from Dandong on the train. Only two companies fly to Korea and none will take animals as freight or hand luggage. That was what I was told this summer when I enquired.

That doesn't help you getting a cat to the UK though.

First you'll have to go to a reputable vet and make sure all your vaccinations are up to date and logged in a health book. There is one vet on YiErYi Road and another on WenLin Street that have vaccinations from Russia/Holland/Belarus that meet the requirements set by the European Union.
This is important as later on in the process you must conduct an antibody test, and these vaccinations will come in useful.

Next you must buy a microchip. Although cats don't have microchips in Britain, its a requirement to leave China to check the medical records.
If you're leaving through China you will need an ISO standard microchip but if you're leaving via HK you will need another kind of chip. Either way these chips are quite hard to find and you may need to order one in from abroad.

Next you will need to take your cat to get the microchip fitted. Most vets will do this for 50RMB. Once this is fitted you should record the number in the heath book (15 numbers) and have the vet record the date fitted along with their stamp or signature.

After the microchip you must get a rabies vaccine. Again, Chinese vaccines aren't recognised in Europe so you'll have to find a Russian one from somewhere. Most vets offer Chinese or Russian versions. Again, the vet must log this in the health book along with the date the vaccination was given.

Its very important the microchip and rabies are logged correctly in the log book as the rabies vaccine must only be given after the microchip has been fitted.

30 days after the rabies has been given you must submit a blood test to a clinic in Jilin province. Vets will take the sample in Kunming but you will have to send it independently to Jilin for testing. Apparenly, when sending this only SP delivery company can carry blood samples.

The blood test measures antibodies and makes sure your cat doesn't have rabies or other contagious deseases that have been vaccinated against.

If your cat passes this you are to keep the report. So long as you keep your cat up to date with its rabies vaccination the report will remain valid.

Next you'll need to book your ticket to the UK. Only some companies will fly with pets so you may be limited in who you fly with.

Once you have your tickets, you must visit a government department in Kunming who will fill out your pets departure papers, you'll need to bring your pet, any documents you've made, and your health booklet.

After this you can pick up your documentation and go to the airport.

Once you reach Britain quarantine isn't needed but you'll be told you have to pay to get your pet back. I have seen 100 to 300 pound being reported online with others saying they paid nothing. I haven't got as far as researching this step fully so I can't offer more information on what this is exactly.

Let me know if this helps as a starter. If it seems a bit too much you can get help from agencies that will do the legwork for you, but generally it is MUCH cheaper in doing it yourself.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

When we brought cats from Canada we flew through Korea on Korean Airlines. The critters were checked in at Toronto airport and retrieved in Kunming.
That was back in 2010 so things may have changed since then.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

How feasible would it be to take a cat to HK, and then legally transit on to the UK (with all documentation and quarantine) ?
If you cross the border on the train from Dandong, that will take you into the DPRK, not the ROK. I am not sure if you can transit by train through DPRK to ROK. I would certainly hesitate making that journey.

Related forum threads

Login to post