GoKunming Forums

Going to Tiber

paveln (24 posts) • 0

Hi, is there anybody who has an experience about driving to Tibet from Shangri-la? Thank you

Let me stress out, I am NOT asking if foreigners need a permit/driver/guide with them :-)

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

you would have to drive on a national highway all way to Xining or Kasghar first before you could start going to Tibet. any other routes are off limit to foreigners. so xining to Lhasa (G109)

is the only route you can take if you are a foreigner. you would have to plan your fuel stops. last time I went (8 years back?),

"gas station" hat? keeper came out with a jerry can to fill the tank. I think the situation has improved a lot since.

paveln (24 posts) • 0

Why on the Earth I should go from Shangri-la to Kasghar?

I would like to know: is there any surprise at G214 road? Thank you. Please do NOT explain me ANYTHING about "foreigners" as that is 100% irrelevant. :-)

well, I been on g214 Kunming -> Lhasa with my Chinese friends driving, I personally don't have the experience of DIY. the only thing you have to watch out for is falling rocks, and high attitude (running out of juice is not fun on the hill if you are going up half way. hahahha) and long winding roads, certainly worth going as it is the most interesting and expensive. btw, the route 214 is a famous or infamous(?) for being the "channel" for all sort of funny trade, drug.....etc so prepared to be stopped. :-))))))

paveln (24 posts) • 0

Thank you. We do not plan to go all the way to Lhasa, only perhaps 100 km inside the TAR and back. Stopped by police? why is it most expensive?

Cheers

well, most goods transport via G109, very few goods transport via G214, that makes everything expensive and food (vegies in particular), accommodation and petrol prices are

all "negotiable." your vehicle will be taking a lot of punishment and don't forget putting anti-freeze in the radiator, a "short" stop on the hill might make restarting impossible. :-)

yeah, police, "armed police (military)" are there hunting down mules. :-)

paveln (24 posts) • 0

Thank you. I will rent car in Shagri-la so hopefully there will be no issue. We plan to go the Meili mountain and then explore surrounding area in TAR and go back to Shangli-la, then to other "Shangri-la" in Sichuan and back to Shangri-li

in Yunnan.

Related forum threads

Login to post