GoKunming Forums

Buying SIM card

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

I suspect that they are now vigorously enforcing real name registration, and some shop staff just cannot comprehend how to input foreign passport holder's information.

Kongming (83 posts) • 0

I went to 2 stores in Chenggong (University Town) and found flat refusal accept a passport. My waiban is perplexed, too. Do you think a Foreign Expert card would do?

nnoble (889 posts) • +2

Note janjal and debaser above. I long since always head for the big main/head office in downtown Kunming for all these type of things because there you have a better chance of finding someone who knows how to provide you with what you need. There is no policy or grounds to deny you a SIM it's just a case of finding someone with the know how and the means and they tend to be in the big main branch.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

Staff don't know how to pad your passport number with leading zeroes to satisfy the 18 digit Chinese ID card requirement.

Now you know - and you can TRY to help them through the process. If your passport number is >18 digits...SOL.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

I had to get a replacement Sim card today as my old iPhone used a micro size and the new iPhone uses a nano size. An Apple shop tried to simply cut it to size, but it failed to work. The big China Mobile store at XiaoXiMen swapped the old sim for a new one without fuss - just needed a passport - and for free. They take photos of your passport, visa, face etc but it was a painless procedure.

For anyone in a similar situation, do make sure you backup your data to the iCloud before you try the cut/swap. I didn't and I have a lot of phone numbers to manually re-enter!

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

When I got my new iPhone i discovered that the contact list is not retained on the SIM card as it was with my old Samsung.
Now here's the good part. I have my email connected on the phone, which then picks up the contact list from my email. Same thing goes for my iPad, so when I update on any of the devices the contact list gets updated on the other two.

Related forum threads

Login to post