GoKunming Forums

Is this true?

Virtue_94 (13 posts) • 0

Hi all,

Since I know that there exist fake articles, I wanted to ask if this is true:
www.theepochtimes.com/[...]

If this is true, then I finally know why I have food poisonings all the time! A lot of the tofu stinks here (some more than others and I already had one that smelled like sewerage!), but I thought that it's just because they are almost at their end date, so when the smell was bearable, I would still use it in dishes..

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +4

I say it is a hoax. Tofu does not need any help fermenting. Stinky Tofu does stink to varying degrees depending on the type, and how fresh it is.
We only buy tofu in the morning, when it is fresh. In this weather, even the non stinky tofu can go sour in a few hours, and this can give you the shits. There is no end date. Ideally tofu should be bought

and consumed daily, unless you buy it early in the morning and get it straight in the fridge. If you cook it (fry it) it will probably be good for up to 3 days from day of purchase, but again only if bought fresh in the morning.

As a vegan, I would hope that you are aware that perhaps the most common source of food poisoning is row crop vegetables. Also, if you are buying street food, you may notice that the food hygiene may not be great, and you cannot be sure how well the vegetables have been washed, if anything has been refrigerated, and how much cross contamination between food types has occur ed.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +2

@virtue_94, are you really getting food poisoning all the time or do you just get a lot of emergency trips to the toilet? If so, are you new here?

My first 6 months in Kunming was a diarrhea extravaganza, but it settled down and passed (both ways) eventually.

redjon777 (560 posts) • +1

@Alpage48 lucky you lol, took me nearly a year of regular s**tfests! As you say though, more likely due to the length of time spent here. The Kunming menu definitely takes a while getting used to for 99% of foreigners. Enjoy the ride Virtue ;o)

That article has turned my stomach a little bit after eating a huge amount of stinky tofu with dinner last night! Even if the article's fake, it's still put the thought in my head which won't disappear lol.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

There are nasty people everywhere doing nasty things. Chances you will be affected are slim. Note that large percentage of the population of Kunming, and many other places in China, eat stinky tofu and seem to be walking around all right. Best not to think about it too much, & adapt. Eat it if you like it, chances of any serious results are pretty small.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

The other newbie trap to avoid, is reading to many of the China hoax websites. You could jump from story to story for hours, just as you go do with any conspiracy stuff. Yes there are nasty people, but as said above, there are nasty people everywhere. There are also nasty websites everywhere, as a personal rule I avoid those websites that have the words TRUTH or FACTS in the site name.

Related forum threads

Login to post