GoKunming Forums

Driver needed

jp506 (2 posts) • 0

My family and I are flying into Kunming during the golden week and are planning on traveling north to Deqen.

All the trains to Lijiang are already sold out.

Does anyone know of a reputable driver that I might be able to hire for 5 people for 6 days?

Thanks in advance!

nnoble (889 posts) • +2

Someone on here will answer your question. I just want to mention that today I was told that there will be no golden week equal to seven days. This, I was told, was due to days being taken for the other Chinese traditional festivals that until now didn't entail a day off.

Meanwhile, before you get a direct answer, try the 'listings' because there are a number of reputable options.

www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/32962/john_xies_car_service

jp506 (2 posts) • 0

Thanks, I looked at John, but his last review looked pretty bad.

I'm not sure I understand the golden week implications.

Do you mean that the traditional week will be longer than 7 days or shorter?

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

If what I was told is correct it will be a shorter holiday. All the better for you I guess.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Even good people can receive bad reviews, from people having a bad China day. I have used John in the past, without any issues.
Golden week may not be seven days, but expect finding hotels will be difficult and expensive, unless previously booked. Having a native speaking driver will help a lot. But if you have not booked already, be prepared for whoever you use to have great difficulties.
Before I get accused of being unduly negative, I used to travel during big holiday, but over the years it has become more unpleasant, we don't even drive out for the day now due to the traffic.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I know a ecotour guide that can hire a mpv, but you'd have to have a decent budget. He has detailed knowledge of the deqen area and has advanced medical and emergency training. If you let me know your dates, I'll see if he is available.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • +1

My understanding is the holiday this year will be eight days: October 1 through 8, with Saturday September 30 being a working day.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Indeed, dates above are correct. I was given a bum steer by a senior and normally reliable source who read and actually believed an official guide to semester and holiday dates.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Is John Xie even still in the business? He used to be around here on this forum, but been gone long ago.

I had someone using his service back two years ago, and they were not satisfied as it was transferred to another driver who was Chinese and hardly spoke a word English. Just the smell of it seems like the guy could be selling truffles by now, since he is certainly not marketing his services here anymore. And maybe not being so service focused either. Just maybe.

Here on Gokunming it says last updated 4 years ago concerning his car service. Point being, if he is not with two feet in business anymore, maybe better get someone fresh out there. This also as maybe.

So...if Tigertiger used his service around 1989 or something, might be John is doing helicopter rides over Lijiang today, yea, or maybe died of cancer, or even making fake chocolate and fake budweiser for wenlin jie market. Time has passed here.

Related forum threads

Login to post