GoKunming Forums

Anyone here gotten a Chinese Green Card?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Love the idea that getting married and buying a house is no hassle.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Well, if you aren't here working long term (thus qualified), or married with local (also eventually qualified) and no desire to emigrate her/him, or have real ethnic connections (already qualified), I don't know many who'd bother staying anyway.

It's still not much of a random relocation destination for early retirement, in my opinion anyway.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

But indeed buying a house can be a hassle here - but as a previous commentator showcasing first person experience on the matter said, buying a house is no requirement (altough he does own anyway).

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

It's my understanding that the house (and indeed the bank account) need to be owned by the couple, rather than solely by the person applying for the visa. Of course nobody would get married or buy a house just to get a green card, but for those already in that position (or close) it seems worth investigating.

liuer2 (38 posts) • +1

I don’t know if owning a house here made any difference in my application. I think it is just one of the things that show you have a serious intention in staying here and it is proof that you have funds.
I bought my house 10 years ago and before I was married. The house is in my name and so are my bank accounts. I didn’t experience any problems when buying the property but as said that was 10 years ago and I don’t know what the rules and regulations are now and how that works in practise. What made of course a difference is that I paid for the house in full so no loan or mortgage which makes things much easier. As far as I understand property, at least the one you live in, becomes joint property when you marry in China but correct me when I am wrong.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@liuer2
Thanks. Missed that post. Great info. I'm told processing is just a few months now.

liuer2 (38 posts) • +1

@Ocean
Succes with it. Indeed hope that things will go faster now. It was really silly to spend money & time on three more one year residense permits like I had to.

john-doe1983 (70 posts) • 0

Hi all I know this thread is a bit old, but I would like to know if anyone else had successfully applied for a "green card" recently.

Related forum threads

Login to post