GoKunming Forums

Anyone here gotten a Chinese Green Card?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +1

The real green card isn't stuck in your passport like other residence permits. It looks rather like a standard Chinese ID card.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

@janjal
I think we paid 2000RMB for the actual application. The cost of getting a current Criminal Records Check for me (through a UK agency) totalled around 3000RMB. Then there were various costs of translations, accreditations and photocopying etc.

baiyuxiang (111 posts) • 0

@Janjal Y1500 for the application, plus costs of notarizations, etc. Y300 for the card itself. Strangely, they wouldn't take cash for the original application fee, and required cash for the card fee.

All told it is certainly a few thousand RMB, plus the inconvenience of freezing the Y100K during the application.

hvaan (8 posts) • +1

The bank needs to give you a document guaranteeing you will have 100K in the bank for a period of 6 months. And that document needs to be notarized again - that can be done at the notary office in Kunming

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

...and on the other hand, with 100k in your bank account as a foreigner, you will automatically meet the requirements for an investigation for tax fraud by the bank. Good luck everyone, i personally don't see the advantages of a chinese green card... except for not having to apply for a visa every year. Checked it out over the years while applying for visa, back in the days you also had to own a house.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I agree.

From 60 years old and up you get a 3 year visa (as of now) if you are married to s Chinese national.

I don't see any advantage either.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +2

I'm still uncertain if the permanent residence permit allows to work freely without additional restrictions, in same manner as locals.

That could be reason enough for people who are still in working age - why not older too, if they have interest to get some pocket money.

Employers would of course still have their specific requirements, but it wouldn't be immigration issue anymore. You could legally (albeit unethically) model as foreigner face for commercial setups then.

But as said, I'm not sure if the permanent residence permit allows that. Pointless indeed, if it doesn't.

DanDare (141 posts) • +1

Advantages. For those not on a work visa, if your marriage fails or spouse dies, you will not get kicked out when your visa expires. You can work and do casual work legally, includes the music gigs, casual work is technically illegal now. If the hospital you are registered with has the online booking system, you can make appointments online, you don't have to go to the hospital to make appointments. You can stay in small cheap hotels that are closed to waiguoren, I have been refused entry to cheap hotels 3 times this year as old policy seems to be being enforced again. I am sure there are other advantages.

Related forum threads

Login to post