GoKunming Forums

Random question :D

AliceMontaniniAliceMontanini (6 posts) • 0

Hi everybody,

I got here yesterday and I've got literally no idea what to do around Kunming. I took a bus and I'm some place west of the green lake.. could you suggest me some place nice to go tonight? I just want to walk around maybe have a seat in a bar and if possible not too far away from the west side of the city since I have to go back to southwest Forestry uni.. many thankssss!!

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@alice - there's the events section top right and the listings section on the gokm top menu - which lists most of the bars, restaurants, and clubs that are expat friendly (cuz they're posted here).

Depending on your nation of origin (not ethnicity), there are communities of FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish) + most other EU flavors (UK, Scandinavians, Dutch), African continentals, and of course the Americas (to include USA).

You can alternatively post an ad looking for language exchange, adventurer and explorer - but that can get awkward regardless of whether your language partner is same or opposite gender (or some variation of that), so be prepared.

If you're chinese is sufficient, grab some roommates and go explore the new subways - and what's around the end points of each (example Lake Dianchi), but that's a LOT of walking. Walk a city block in any and or all directions - looking for entertainment venues, stores, etc (and of course...food).

The actual green lake area (wenlin jie) which feeds in to the west gate of yunda is packed with expat friendly (menus are also in english) such as Salvadors, Salvador's Loft (formerly Mazagran), French Cafe, etc. Just say hello to anyone sitting at the outside patio - grab a chair and say hello. Most are quite friendly and chatty.

And...you absolutely MUST walk around the actual green lake park (it's free) and potentially visit "The Park @ Green Lake restaurant, located inside the park, for casual patio dining (or just beverage & people watching).

If you have some time, visit the Yunnan Minorities Park (nominal entry fee required). Many criticize the park for it's entertainment heavy theme (like the elephant show), but it's a great place to at least see several of the many varieties of minority people group's former living conditions and

cultures (tree houses, raised homes, etc), to get a feeling for rural life in a minority village (to include Islamic or Muslim villages, Daoist villages, etc).

DEFINITELY visit Salvadors - ask the staff about their work experience - Salvadors has a famously unique work environment for its staff, meet the owner(s) if they're around (just ask - when they're not TOO busy. They're incredibly friendly people and can usually share at least 1-5 minutes of their time, depending on what they've got going at the time.

Best regards, welcome to Yunnan!

Related forum threads

Login to post